Part I: Chapter 7

I grabbed Grandma's requested items from Ray's One Stop, the nearest gas station to home.

I froze in my tracks and my heart stopped as I found a poster on the bulletin board inside

MISSING PERSON

RAVEN

AGE: 17

BLACK HAIR, BLACK EYES, RED SKIN

REWARD IF FOUND

WARNING: HIGHLY DANGEROUS AND MENTALLY UNSTABLE. IF YOU SEE HIM, DO NOT APPROACH HIM. CALL SILENT OBSERVER AT THE NUMBER BELOW:

Not to mention the wings in that appearance, I thought when I first saw it.

Or the fact he was in critical condition when I found him.

How dare that abusive asshole try to get him back?! And call him 'dangerous'? Raven was the least dangerous part of that equation. I snatched up every poster I saw and crinkled them up in fury, carefully looking around to make sure whoever the creep was wasn't spying. And wasn't it racist to consider 'red' his skin tone? Get woke.

I hurried back to my car, freaked out by just the thought that that monster could be out there watching me.

While I drove home, I kept looking in my rear view mirror, scared someone could be following me. Some sick crazy psychopath, everything that motherfucker did to Raven... I tried not to think what he could do to me.

Back home and heading up to my room, I finally at least felt a bit safer.

But...what was that sound?

There it is again...

Wait...that's Potatonut.

And she was making an insane racket up in the attic.

I climbed up there to tell her to shut up and leave Raven alone when I saw the two of them sitting on the floor, staring at each other.

Potatonut gave a loud annoying meow.

And Raven mimicked it.

"Uh..." I said awkwardly. "Don't mean to break up the little bonding session here, but...what?"

"Ravens can mimic," Raven said to me.