Part III: Chapter 39

I was really scared Hunter would keep me in the basement; that he'd lock me in a cage and torture and beat me like he did to Raven. I figured he'd do it eventually, it was inevitable. He'd get drunk and beat me up... Or worse...

But instead, for now, I was shown up the stairs to a little guest room, all set up for me already. It had a mahogany wooden floor, yellow walls, a bed made with fur sheets, and a bedstand with a lamp and alarm clock. No windows or decorations made it look bare, but it could have been so much worse...

It lifted a little of the terror from my shoulders, but still not enough.

If I wasn't being held hostage, it might actually seem nice. Especially compared to the bloody cage I'd been expecting... Oh Raven, my Raven... My heart ached.

The first thing I did, faced with my new bedroom was lean down and check, hoping more than anything that there was a lock on it.

I heaved a sigh of relief to find that there was a lock on the inside. Oh thank god... There was unfortunately one on the outside to lock me in, too...but at least I could lock them out if they tried to hurt me.

Woodman, standing behind me, noticed this. "Yes, I thought you'd like that feature. We can lock you in for the night and you can lock us out for the evening. We've been known to-"

"Get drunk and beat the sh*t out of him," I finished, outright interrupting him. "And torture and starve him."

His eyes narrowed in curiosity, and to my surprise, he laughed a little. "Why, yes. How ever did you know that?"

"He told me what you did to him

"He told me what you did to him."

"It 'told' you?"

"Yes."

"You mean it talked to you?"

"Yes," I hissed angrily.

Woodman scoffed in genuine surprise. "I did not even know it had the ability speak anymore. The day I finally broke him was the day he stopped talking," he chuckled as he got lost in thought. "Ah. That, and I assumed it was about time the thing forgot how; after all, the only thing it was good at was screaming."

"