Part II: Chapter 22

"Can you still fly?" I asked after a long pause, shivering from the chilly breeze.

He nodded quickly. Good.

"Thank god. They look really bad..." The blood that matted his feathers only made it look worse. After a wash, a nice stretch, and a handful of days' rest, he should be fine, considering how quickly he healed last time. "I think we'll just have to climb up to the roof, unless you can fly up."

He shook his head, his wings too sore.

Damn it

Damn it. Climbing it is, then. "Alright, up, up. Come on, get up." I reached down and gently took his hands, trying to help him to his feet. Leaning heavily on me, I pulled him up.

He stumbled a bit, but kept his balance. And once again, he already seemed to stand strong. In pain, but still strong as he could.

I blinked. I was trying to look strong too...but I was a lot worse at it. He reached out to tenderly touch his warm hand to my cheek.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against his palm. It comforted me. That hand was that of a friend. A friend who would protect me...I hoped.

I could sense it

I could sense it. He knew they were eventually coming back. He worried they were going to come back and hurt me because of him. 

He knew a lot more about his enemies than I did, so if he thought they were coming back to get us, they were coming back to get us. The only question now is how long until they come.

I didn't even know if we were still safe here, at home... But at least for tonight, Raven was too injured to travel. Until he healed, we were trapped.

He moved his hand from my cheek to my hand, and we turned and walked in silence to my car, where I'd jumped down from the roof earlier.

Raven clambered up on the back hood and offered me his hand, which I took gratefully and carefully. He worked up his wings, giving a groan of pain as he half-jumped half-flapped himself barely up to the roof, lifting me up after him.

We got back into my room across the roof and in through my window. When we got there, I flicked on my light and began to fix up Raven's wings.

Some ointment here, a bandage wrap there, smoothing a few feathers here and there, and I was done. It took a while, but not as long as I'd thought it would, done carefully. I'd done it before.