Part I: Chapter 5

Long day, I thought. But a good one. Getting choked by PTSD-ridden Raven already felt like a lifetime away, though the throat-ache that had persisted for a while had kept it on my mind. It's only just yesterday I found him...

Certainly no one had ever done that to me before. I'd never really...actually ever been this close to a guy. 

And now twice, the crazed guy I brought in from the woods had flipped out and grabbed my neck when something triggered him.

Yeah, it was unnerving... And seeing another human being with so many scars was terrifying too... 

But never before had I ever seen someone so desperately in need of my help. Yeah, I know everything I'm doing is not what most people would consider to be the smartest of choices, but I'll do whatever I want with my boring-ass life, okay? 

He's the most interesting thing to ever happen to me, but even more so, I felt for him. He was just another kid my age, who could have just as easily been my classmate (with wings)...except the things that had been done to him were indescribable...

I've never seen so much fear in any person's eyes. I didn't know whatever happened to Raven was even possible. The guy had literally been tortured.

All I knew was how badly I wanted to help him and figure out what the hell was going on.

Besides, my neck wasn't too sore. I knew the hot shower I was taking would only make me more sore, but it was too hard to resist....I mean, who doesn't love a nice hot shower?

Raven, maybe. Who had still not showered the stink off. At least he's looking much more...civil, with his hair cut and combed out.

My thoughts kept wandering back to him from every which way as I went through every different question I could possibly wonder to myself, but I mostly ended up thinking in circles and getting nowhere, always ending on the question of, what would happen next? I had absolutely no clue.

His wings were so badly wounded, would he ever fly again? His spirit crushed, he hardly spoke as it was. Knives and the sound of scissors gave him PTSD. Every unexpected touch frightened him. And to even mention all those cuts and slices on him...

What has some monster done to him?

I sighed.

Raven, in the wrong hands... It was something I didn't even want to think about. 

Kidnapping, torture, and human trafficking were too-real topics I usually pushed from my mind. The only thing I could do against those huge terrifying things were...help Raven, I guess. Maybe that's why I wanted to help him so badly, because whatever happened to him, it wasn't fair.

Who did that to him? Where are they? What if they're close?

I shook my head, my mind having wandered once more. Just...get on with the shower...

I made sure all my hair was rinsed out and paused for one last moment of glorious hot water before I shut it off, reached outside of the curtain and grabbed my towel, and started drying my hair, the ambiance of spraying water having faded to a fading dripping.

"Mreehhh!" I heard the cat, Potatonut, give a grating screech in her most pleasing tone possible. 

Potatonut's real name was Banananut. We used to have two cats, but after the real Potatonut died years ago, Grandma couldn't tell the difference. Besides, Potatonut/Banananut already looks like a potato left out to sit, brown all over with little white flecks, and what kept her from looking like a fat, ugly, b*tchy little deer-midget was her black face, tail, and paws. (No, I don't like cats, why do you ask?)