Part I: Chapter 14

The rest of the day was a netflix marathon.

But shortly before nightfall, before the sun was down, Raven finally spoke up before the next episode started playing automatically on the screen. "A flight would be nice right now," he admitted.

"Maybe once it's dark out," I suggested. "Otherwise you could be seen."

"I know," he muttered, and sighed.

What, was he bored? He just had to say so. "If you want to change the show, you can," I said.

"Nah."

"The sun will be down soon."

He bit his lip.

"Do you want to do anything else? Besides flying?"

"Not really," he replied softly.

I turned my head and looked at him, taking my eyes from the loading screen for a moment. "You okay?"

He sighed. He looked out the window.

 He looked out the window

I sighed too.

"It's red," he commented.

"Yeah, it's sunset."

"I haven't seen it in so long..." he breathed.

"The sunset?"

"Yeah."

"Wait, you haven't seen a sunset?!"

"Besides from this attic or a net...not in eight years."

Eight years. It was the first time he'd ever offered a timeframe. 

He was abused for eight years? Goddamn... Eight years...

I did the math of that in my head. So...it started before he was nine, since he was now seventeen. Meanwhile, he had only been with me for ten days. 

"Well, you can still go out to see it," I offered, "but it's not a very clear day out, and the moon is up, so you wouldn't see much. You've...pretty much missed the whole sunset by now. Tomorrow?"

He sighed, but nodded. So much for that idea. "I'm hungry."

"Pizza? Chips? Apple?"

He grinned. "Sunflower seeds."

"