Part III: Chapter 40

That evening I was sure to keep the door locked. After the sun went down, I could hear them having loud, profane conversations or arguments downstairs as they drank around the fireplace. 

Craig had a decent sense of humor for a sadist, and often tried to lead the conversation, but it was really only Woodman who could say just the right thing to them. Their tech-savvy dark haired friend whose name I didn't know yet popped in an occasional correction of logic, while Percy made half-assed arguments that kept riling up Ben, who was very easily offended.

They constantly interrupted each other and got into disagreements, but all was settled any time Woodman opened his mouth. He had created an aura no one dared to break; he was in charge. They always agreed with him, and not because they had to, but because he always explained how their viewpoints aligned; he was the frequency on which all their chaos converged.

This is why they follow him. He's clever. Smart. Charismatic. How many have fallen prey to him?

I heard my name come up a lot. Well, they never referred to me by name, mind you. They wondered what to do with me, what to do with Raven, even what they'd do if he didn't come. Pretty quickly, Woodman had them change the subject so I wouldn't overhear them.

They were definitely drunk. Ben and Percy nearly got into a fistfight, but Woodman stopped them. Afterwards, they immediately started talking about me again. They wanted to know if I was going to get beaten or hurt. They seemed to be pretty used to having a live punching bag to take things out on.

Hunter told them I was a hostage, not a prisoner, like there was a difference. It made for a very vague answer.

They kept talking about me, from insulting me to debating my fate and in between. Percy, Craig, and Ben seemed to be convinced that I was just there to replace their last prisoner. I was in tears listening to the awful things they said, just hoping I'd hear a secret or that they'd slip up. I mean, it was how Raven escaped. So I kept listening, no matter what horrible things I heard.

I desperately hoped that I'd be safe. Luckily for me, my wish seemed to have come true. No one ever climbed the stairs to approach me, except for Woodman when he locked my door before they went to sleep. Once he left the room, the rest of them dispersed within seconds.

I was up all night tossing and turning. The sheets were scratchy and too hot, but without them was too cold. Every position I laid in was uncomfortable. The pillow was too thin alone but with another stacked up, it was too thick.

 The pillow was too thin alone but with another stacked up, it was too thick

It was almost two before I finally got out of bed and tried something else.

I paced the room.

I tried to sleep on the hard floor.

I tried crying myself to sleep.

I'd have banged my head into a wall, but if I woke them up they might be angry.