Part I: Chapter 8

There was no sign of struggle, as in the place was still orderly, the dust was settled, and there weren't feathers scattered everywhere. Not that if someone intended to kidnap him they'd leave through the tiny window.

I was surprised Raven, who had not only himself but the gigantic wings on him to get through, could even fit through there, but I knew he had — I saw a giant feather left stuck to the shutters.

Raven had left.

Oh my god, my worst fears seemed to be coming to life in front of me. He's flown away.

Something inside me sank. He...left me. I had a weird feeling in my stomach like I'd suddenly fallen in a sinkhole I'd never crawl out of.

I scoured the attic. The upstairs. And then I checked it twice. I even looked downstairs, even though I knew he would be there. But still no Raven.

I found a napping Potatonut curled up on his mattress, who hissed at me when I came near and woke him/her up.

"Where is he?" I snapped at him/her, getting nothing but a glare back. Stupid, you're asking the cat where he went? I cursed myself.

I ran to the window and looked around frantically.

"Ra-" I started to call. Then I realized if I was hiding him, I probably didn't want to be loud about it. "Hello?!" I called.

No reply.

"He-" I started.

"Hey, Melody," Raven silenced in the loudest voice I'd ever heard come forth from his mouth; a whole normal talking voice.

"Where are you?!"

"Up here."

I squeezed halfway out the window and looked to the roof above the attic.

"Jesus Christ! There you are!" I exclaimed. "I've been looking everywhere for you!" I stepped onto the flat roof that jutted out outside the sill, jumped up on the roof next to him and plopped down.

He smiled. "Here I am."

I was smiling in relief that he was still here, already feeling stupid for having assumed he would just...leave me without a goodbye. There was a long awkward pause. I hadn't even realized how attached I'd grown to him until I'd thought I lost him.

 I hadn't even realized how attached I'd grown to him until I'd thought I lost him

He handed me a finished rubix cube. "I solved it."

"Woah..." I breathed. "No one taught you how?"

He shook his head.

"You just...figured it out?"

He nodded.

"Well, why am I not surprised?" He's smart as sh*t. Wow.

He kind of just looked at me and watched me turn the cube over in my hands.

"Can...can I mess it up now?" Pretty, finished, completed rubix cubes were so tempting to scramble.