I am appointed by a Billionaire to be his Heir's Girlfriend 20

(Author's note: So hello guys! It's been months since I last uploaded. I know this might not be the comback you've expected and I also know this one chapter is not worth waiting for but really, I'm a mess these days. School's very toxic. I will try to get better writing when I'm feeling inspired again to write. Please don't laugh. :D So here's this. Have a good day.

P.S. I uploaded a new cover.

Also, to the person whom I dedicate this, Thank you so much! :D)

-Athena Vanderbilt POV-

                With all the courage I had left, I stood up and took a deep breath, which was pretty hard because I was really sobbing hard. I felt numb. Everything just felt numb. And that was good enough. I don’t want the pain to sink in that much. I was only crying without comprehending.

                Stooping down so that people won’t see my eyes, I walk towards the Bethesda fountain. The sight of water always calm me down. I wish I could go down to the Hudson river. But the water there stinks anyway so never mind that.

                I made it to the fountain without tripping on my own high-heeled shoes. And so I sat and took a deep breath.

                This can’t be happening to me. Did I just lose my bestfriend? Noooooo. It can’t be. Maybe I’m just dreaming? No, this is a nightmare. A very long one. Maybe this is really a dream! Yeah! Because there is no way I’ll lose Chloe. It’s not right. It can’t be real.

                But of course deep down, I’ve known I’m not dreaming. But then again denial is the first stage of the defense mechanism until you reach acceptance.

                I sighed and shook my head. I need to unwind for a bit. I don’t wanna go home. The empty house makes me more depressed than I am right now.

                Good thing New York is such a busy place so it’s a bit interesting to people-watch.

                There was a little girl with blonde hair beside me who was playing with the fountain’s waters. I want to stop her because the water is not really clean-looking and a bit greenish but then her mother is playing with her so I assumed they are alright. Then there’s one man, about mid-thirties, who was taking pictures. Hmm. A typical tourist. He looks like an Asian. Then he caught me looking at him and smiled. I smiled back. Then there is a woman who was talking to someone on the phone. She looks really happy, which is totally ironic to what I’m feeling right now.

                I moved 90 degrees to my right and people-watched again.

                There’s this pretty girl about my age, with perfect blonde hair and the perfect height and the perfect pretty face and the supermodel legs, walking with a huge pair of shades. She looked excited as she flipped her hair. Well, she’s one of those you could expect from Gossip girl, the mean pretty popular girl. But then, I’m not judging or stereotyping. That’s just my first impression. She was wearing a mini-skirt and that is weird, considering it’s spring right now.

                A smirk is now flashing on her face as she waved her hand and I turned my head for a bit to look. 10 meters away from her is Alex Burlington who was looking at her with an unreadable expression. WHAT?