Chapter Thirteen

"We brought food, alcohol, blankets, DVD’s, magazines and chocolate!" Sarah said beaming at me.

"We also brought some KFC, but we ate it on the way. Sorry, it was too cold to not eat warm food. Either way it would have been cold by the time we got here." Leah added looking guilty. 

I gestured for them to come in, they knew this apartment like the back of their hand. The boys had left earlier that morning to travel the country so I had been up for a while after sending them off. ”OK, but you’d better give me the chocolate now!” I said, already missing them.

They both put their bags on the counter and shuffled over to my sofa and slumped down putting their feet up on the small coffee table trying to get them closer to the radiator that hung on the wall opposite the sofa. I rumaged through the bags and pulled out some magazines, blankets and DVD’s and threw them at the girls. 

"Put a DVD on would you? I’ll get the drinks and food ready!" 

"Hey Soph, what’s your status at the moment?" Leah asked wearily.

Status? What was she talking about? “What do you mean status?” I asked turning towards her.

"I thought you and Zayn were getting it on…" She trailed off.

"Well, he says he likes me a lot and all that cheese, but he had to sort something out this weekend, but that when he came back it’d be solved. I don’t really know what he was talking about bu.. why?" I asked suddenly aware of their sympathetic looks towards me. "What’s happened? Why?" I asked again more demandingly

"His ex-girlfriend is pregnant and he’s apparently moving in with her and they’re planned to get married next year." Leah blurted out throwing one of the magazines at the table hard, earning her a punch in the arm from Sarah who then run up to me and wrapped her arms around me. I just stood there shocked.

"I’m sorry, we know how much you like him babe." Sarah said comfortingly.

I shook it all off. “I don’t even know the boy. It’s nothing. He probably was going to end things with me.. That’s the reason he they stayed in the UK, to look after the baby! Of course, that’s why he’s living in Notting Hill!” I stood there for a second making sense of it all in my head. Of course I’d always be his neighbour. He was Zayn Malik! He was part of One Direction. I glanced up at Leah and Sarah standing close to me, their faces plastered with sympathetic looks.

"Lets put a DVD on then, hey? How about A Walk to Remember. It’s my favourite." I said suddenly, shocking them a little, but they didn’t complain. Leah walked over to my TV and put the DVD in.

"Are you OK babe?" Sarah whispered into my ear. "I know you liked him a lot, even if you didn’t know yourself. I know you. And I know you’re upset now even though you don’t want to show it. I’m always here for you, you know." She continued. I looked up from the wine I was pouring and shot her a thankful look. She really was a gem. 

"Thanks, I’ll be fine when we get started with this film." I said uncertainly.

***

"You always cry at these films, yet you constantly put yourself through watching them. I just don’t get the point in films that make you cry." Leah whined as she gulped back the last of her seventh wine.

"That’s what films are supposed to do. Stimulate your emotions!!” I said through the tears running down my face as she got up to top up her drink. “I’ll have another while you’re at it.”

Sarah looked at us. She had only had three drinks, Leah and I were soon to be on double digits. “You guys alright? Still seeing straight?” She asked jokingly.

I nodded, the tears continuing to flow. He had a baby. He meant it when he said it was complicated.