Chapter Forty

The food we ate was lush and we’d both managed to over eat, we could barely walk back to the hotel so we walked onto the beach and sat in the sand for a while. 

"So how are you feeling?" Zayn asked quietly after 10 minutes of comfortable silence, listening to the waves, as he laid himself down in the sand.

I looked down at him and smiled warmly. “I have honestly never been so happy in my life.” I replied, still looking at him. I saw his confused expression and furrowed his brows and turned to face me. 

"I don’t get how you can say that." Zayn whispered, forcing me to lay next to him so I could hear what he said. "Your mum died 4 days ago and you don’t even seem to care." He said, without mercy.

It shocked me. I had tried so hard not to think about it over the past few days because I wanted to be strong, not just for me but for Zayn as well. I went to open my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. 

I sat up and looked out to the sea, trying hard to hold back the tears, but they fell down my cheeks none-the-less. Before I knew it, Zayn was sitting up right, shuffled closer to me and had his arms wrapped tightly around me as his thumbs stroked my arms lovingly. We sat like this for 40 minutes until I couldn’t cry any more. 

"How do you feel now?" Zayn asked me again.

"Relieved." I admitted. "What did you do to me?" I asked jokingly.

"I just thought you needed to let it all out of your system. It seemed like you did everything in your power to avoid thinking about your mum, but she’s dead, Soph. You’ve got to grieve to get over her death and move on." He looked at me and kissed my cheek lightly. "I’m sorry if I sprung it on you, but I just think you need to grieve for her, not forget about the whole thing ever happened." 

I understood why he did it, and for some reason, I felt like a weight had been taken off my shoulders.

The air outside was cool now, and gave me chills, so Zayn gave me his suit jacket to wear over my dress. So sandals and shoes in hand, we got up and walked down the beach till we reached the hotel. 

"Thank you for a wonderful evening." I said quietly as I rested my head on his chest as we got into the elevator. "Sorry if I ruined it." I added.

He squeezed my hand with his and looked down at me. I returned the look and gazed into his dark chocolate eyes. “Don’t be sorry for anything. Honestly, if you ever need to cry, cry. You haven’t ruined anything” He said, blinking slowly, whilst licking his lips slightly. “I want to be here for you whenever you need me to be here for you.” He added finally, before we reached our floor and stepped out of the elevator.

"Come on. Lets go use the bed." Zayn said calmly.