Chapter Seventeen

As I got out of the taxi outside Mum and Simon’s house my heart sank. The house was swarming with police and there were mutiple police cars outside and an ambulance parked close to the front door.

I sprinted towards the front door but a tall police man with a stern face cut me off. 

"I’m sorry ma’am you can’t go through there." he said with a strong London accent. 

"I’ve got to see my mum and Simon. He called me here. What’s happened?" I asked, hysterically. Panic flooding my veins.

"Oh, I see, you’re Sophie, the daughter? You’d better come inside." He said, his stern face instantly easing into a sympathetic look.

I didn’t know where to look. I tried frantically to look for signs of struggle or trouble but I couldn’t see any. I had no clue what had happened.

Following the police man through the house, he sat me down on the sofa and asked me if I wanted a drink. I refused, getting agitated. I needed to know what was going on.

"Your mum had a psychotic episode last night. She had a huge row with Simon and  threw him out of the house, taking his keys from him." He paused looking out of the window. "Did she try to contact you at all last night? We found her phone smashed up and thrown out of the window."

I glanced down at my phone and checked. She had. My heart sank even more. I knew my mum had a bipolar and when she needed me I wasn’t there for her. I was too busy being too stubborn to take notice to her. The tears poured down my face. What had happened?

"She called me 13 times and I’ve got 8 messages." I wept. "What has she done?" My mind frantically jumping from one conclusion to another.

The police officer shot me another sympathetic glance. “Simon broke in through the back window early this morning.” He paused again.

I got up from the sofa and paced around the room.

"What has she done?" I asked again, raising my voice allowing the panic to enter it.

"He found her in her bedroom. She killed herself last night about 11 O’clock." He placed his hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "Is there anyone we can call for you?" He asked gently.

I shook my head. “Where is Simon?” I asked with little strength to my voice.

"Sophie?" Simon called out.

He looked awful. 

"I’m so sorry Sophie! I should have known she was having an episode. I shouldn’t have just walked away! I just didn’t want the neighbours thinking anything bad of me. I should have stayed." He wept into my shoulder.

As the police officer went to exit the room Simon turned to him.

"Can we see her?"

The police man looked a little shocked and thought about it. He shook his head and began to say something but backtracked.

"I don’t.. No one needs to see their loved ones like that. It won’t do you any good. I’m sorry." And with that he walked away.

I got my phone out and began trawling through the messages she had sent me.

Sophie, I know it’s late but could you come over. Simon’s been cheating on me.

Are you coming?

I need you. Simon’s cheated on me and I’ve got no one to turn to. All the neighbours knew.

Sophie, Stop being so selfish. I need you!

such a caring and loving daughter you are. Clearly I mean nothing to you and your life would be better without me!!

Nice to know where I stand Sophie. You were in on it too weren’t you!

After everything I’ve done for you!!! You stupid little bitch! Having fun laughing at me? Yes I fell for it!

You ungrateful little bitch! After everything. I hope you’re proud of yourselves. It’s lovely to know that you have a daughter who doesn’t love you!

It broke my heart to think that this is what went through her mind. She died alone feeling unloved and betrayed. My own mother thought I didn’t love her. It hadn’t sunk in properly, I missed her but I wasn’t grieving yet.

I showed Simon the texts who went and handed my phone to the police.

He came back with a cup of tea and some painkillers.

"She killed herself Soph, because she thought I was cheating on her." He chocked, shaking his head in disbelief. I knew Simon wasn’t cheating on her. He loved her.

"I’m so sorry Simon. I know you wouldn’t ever…" I began. I couldn’t do this. I had to get out of here. I needed to be alone. "I’m sorry. I can’t be here any longer. You’ve got the number to my apartment, give me a call." I said quickly before walking out of the house.

I don’t know how I got home, but when I woke up the next morning it felt like my whole life had fallen apart.