Chapter Fifteen

When I got home, I took a long warm shower to raise my body temperature, I got out after about 40 minutes and changed into my warm blue checked Pyjama’s and tied my hair up, mentally preparing myself to listen to the messages that had been left on my phones.

I had over 40 messages on the landline and my mobile, I didn’t want to listen but I gave in, dying to hear their voices.

"Soph, I don’t know if you’ve heard about Emma and the whole baby thing, but I’ll explain when I’m back, just please could you call me back, it’s not what you think. I promise." Zayn’s voice purred softly down the phone. It was clear he was worried and stressed. The whole story had blown up over night, the whole world knew about it, and he was getting slammed.

"Hey Sophie!" Louis said cheerfully in the next message. "Just to clear it up, Zayn made a bad choice previously which has clearly backfired now. The magazine had no rights to publish the story, and even if they did, they only published a small and twisted part of the story! Please give us a ring. We’re worried about you!"

"Hey, it’s Liam. I know you’re hurting now, but we’ll be back in a few days. You’ve got to hear him out. He’s been thrown into the deep end with no warning and he can’t swim. He’s trying to keep everything together but whenever we mention you or the topic he breaks down. Just give us a ring or a message when you’re ready. Bye." 

I missed the boys so much. I just wanted them all around me so I could nestle in the middle of them and forget about everything.

"Soph, it’s Harry. I’m not going to try and make up any excuses for Zayn, and it’s not my place to say what went down, but I know that you are both upset and hurt. Please just give him a chance to explain. He’s dying inside. I hope you’re OK, babe. Thinking of you, bye." 

I left the tears fall down my cheek.

"Sophie, please just give me a chance to explain things. Call me, I’m begging you." Zayn said. He sounded tired and ill.

"Hey Sophie. It’s Niall. Give us a ring to let us know you’re alright. We miss you and we’re worried about you! We’ll see you in a few days."

The boys were due back in two days, I worked out.

I had two days to sort myself out. I had to show them that I had no feelings for Zayn and that this whole story didn’t effect me.

"Hey, Sophh, it’s Liam. Give me a ring. I’m worried about you." The next seven messages were from the boys again, pleading with me to call them. I stood there listening to each of the messages trying to build up immunity to their voices, it wasn’t working.

"Sophie, look we don’t expect you to want to talk to Zayn, but at least text us to let us know you’re OK. We’re really worried about you!" Louis said gently down the phone. I picked up my phone and began reading the texts they had sent looking at the latest message from Harry:

We know you’re upset, but drop us a text or give us a ring to let us know you’re OK. Harry x

I wasn’t OK. I was far from it.

"Oh baby, I know it’s hard now, but it’ll get better. Especially when all the media dies down. Give me a ring whenever you need me sweetie. I’m always here." Sarah said comfortingly. Her voice instantly calming me.

I wished she was here with me, but I didn’t want her to see me so weak. The tears had stopped and slowly and painfully the messages became comforting. I threw my mobile at the sofa and lent on the wall and continued listening to the messages.

"Soph, I’m so sorry." Zayn cried, instantly sending a shooting pain around my body. He sounded wounded and sleep deprived. "I know I’ve hurt you and I can’t do anything to try and make you understand, but it’s killing me inside. I am so, so sorry. Please just phone me back. I have so much I need to tell you. I know you don’t understand but I need you to know.."

I hung up, not wanting to hear whatever it was he had said.

I wiped my face of the tears that had dried on my skin and walked over to the sofa, picking up my phone.

I had 17 missed calls from Simon and 23 texts from him since yesterday.

He rung again. 

"Hello?" I answered. I could hear him crying in the background. "Simon. What’s wrong?"

"It’s your mum.." he said quietly. "I think you had better come over."

"What’s happened?" I cried down the phone, worry paralysing me. "Simon!" I shouted down the phone, but he had already hung up. 

I grabbed my coat and launched out of the apartment.