Chapter Ten

Time Allowed: Two Hours

Answer both Part 1 and Part 2 of the exam paper. You should spend one hour on each 

section. Each section will count for 50% of the overall exam mark.

PART 1:

Write a short answer explaining or defining FIVE of the following ideas, concepts, events, etc.

A) Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) 

B) Military Coup

C) Decolonisation

D) Sustainable development

E) Democratisation

F) Gender and development

G) The Third World

H) Entitlement theory of famine

PART 2:

Write an essay on ONE of the following questions. Use examples to back up your argument.

1) Critically discuss the relationship between economic growth and development. 

2) In your opinion, is the Third World State the engine of growth or an obstacle to 

development? 

3) What do you understand by the term ‘the civilizing mission’?

4) How can HIV/AIDS be seen as a security issue? Do you agree with this perspective?

5) To what extent is it possible for other Third World countries to replicate the experience of 

the Newly Industrialised Countries (NICs)? 

6) What explains the frequency of the military coup in Third World politics?

Re-reading the questions for the forth time. OK, Breathe Soph, I thought to myself, glancing around the room at the rest of the exam hall. People were already scribbling away. Head down and make sure you are comfortable with the question, remembering the advice that Zayn and Trevor had offered me earlier on. I took a long deep breath and began writing.

Two hours later with an aching and cramping hand and arm I walked out of the exam. Everyone seemed to be worrying a little, I on the other hand was totally relaxed. 

"So, how did you find it babe?" I heard Leah say before I felt a clammy hand on my arm. I looked over at her. She looked worried.

"Yeah, I think I did OK. How about you?" She shook her head. "Just try not to think about it too much." I said rubbing her arm comfortingly.

"Need a lift back?" Sarah said running up and pulling us into a tight hug! "How was it guys?"

I nodded wearily and shook my head towards Leah, “No, I’m good. I’m actually meeting someone in 5 minutes in Starbu…”

"WHAT!?" Leah and Sarah shouted in unison. I giggled, looking down at my feet shuffling them in embarrassment. "Who is it?" they asked, poking me until I finally gave in.

"OK, OK, OK!" I giggled, struggling to get air. "It’s not anyone you’d know." They weren’t having any of it. "It’s Zayn. We’re only meeting for lunch. It’s nothing, but I really do have to go, so I hope you two did OK and I’ll see you tomorrow, yeah? Don’t forget the DVD’s" I said walking away. "Oh, and the chocolate. No chocolate, no entry!" I shouted looking over my shoulder smirking at them.

***

"He just got naked on a plane full of people!?" I shrieked with laughter. "Oh my God, I thought you were joking when you said that on Alan Carr!" I was in stitches. I felt so comfortable with Zayn. Suddenly the door opened behind us and a cold gust of wind made me shiver. 

"Dude, you are the worst driver ever. How you got your licence I will never know!" Louis said, slapping Niall on the back. "Oh, hey guys, fancy meeting you!" Louis added sarcastically squeezing my shoulder lightly.

"Hey guys!" I said enthusiastically. They had been so much help over the past few days. 

"How did the exam go?" Liam asked. I smiled at him, he was lovely.

"Yeah," I nodded "It was OK I guess. I was worried at first, but at the end of the exam I think I was the most relaxed!"

The boys cheered, “Told you you could do it you beauuuuuty!” Louis shouted. 

"WE SHOULD GO TO NANDO’S!" Niall cried with excitement. I glanced over at Zayn who gave a questioning look.

"Sounds good to me!" I beamed.