Chapter Eighteen

"Sophie, please can you just open the door. I need to talk to you!" Zayn said quietly through the door. He had his own key to the apartment in his but he had the courtesy to not use it. "Sophie, I’m begging you!" 

I shuffled to the counter and put the kettle on again. I hadn’t told anyone about last night. I felt empty. Nothing mattered to me any more. I wanted to dig a hole and crawl into it with a cosy blanket.

Suddenly I heard a key quietly unlock the door. I gasped in disbelief.

"You have the cheek to come into my apartment uninvited after what you did!" I shouted, launching myself onto the person who had just walked through the door, pounding my fists into his chest. It wasn’t Zayn.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Calm down Soph." Louis said gently, grabbing my fists and pulling me into a tight hug. I felt calmer instantly. His smell settling in my nose, his muscles tensed and comfy. My head was rested on his chest and I could feel my rapid heart beat try to mimic his slow and steady heart rate. "Zayn’s outside. He won’t come in until you invite him in. He’s being a vampire!" He said with a smile. 

I’d miss him. I’d missed them all.

Before I knew it, all the boys (minus Zayn) had piled into my apartment and where sprawled across my sofa.

"How have you been the Soph?" Liam asked looking genuinely concerned. I nodded and put on the best smile I could muster. I gazed into his dark eyes, losing my strength.

He wrapped his arms around me, seeing how upset I was.

"Sophie, you should have let him explain or at least talked to him. He’s dying inside. He feels awful." He began. I didn’t want to hear it. I struggled against Liams tight grip but he didn’t ease up. "Sophie, he really likes you. You mean a lot to him!"

The boys were looking on at the struggle not knowing what to do. I pounded my fists into his chest trying to get him to shut up, but Liam was strong and brushed my hands away. 

"He cares for you Sophie…"

"I DON’T CARE LIAM! HE MEANS NOTHING TO ME!" I screamed at him!

The boys on the sofa got up and began to crowd around me. 

"Zayn can go and fuck himself OK!? I don’t need you guys feeling bad because he made me look like a fool! He means absolutely nothing to me!!!"

They weren’t buying it.

"Why are you so upset then?" Liam asked almost smugly.

"Because my mum killed herself because she thought her boyfriend was cheating and her own daughter didn’t love her. SHE DIED ALONE FEELING UNLOVED AND BETRAYED!!!" I screamed again. Letting every ounce of anger pour out of me, before Louis stepped forward, pushing Liam out of the way.

Louis wrapped his arms around me again and we stayed this way for a long time. The rest of the boys disappeared and we were alone for the rest of the night, huddled on the sofa with a soft blanket draped over us as I wept into his arms. 

Louis made me feel safe. I didn’t want to be anywhere else but in his arms.