5

"Remind me again." Kai turned to face Stefan with a perplexed look. "Why are we going back to Mystic Falls?"

"Yeah, how come?" I wondered, raising my brows.

Stefan shook his head and glanced at us. "Damon told me that there is apparently a group of people, who will stop Rayna."

"So our lives are in Damon's hands." Kai scoffed. "Just kill me now." I rolled my eyes at his dramatic response, as did Stefan. I leaned back on the seat, Grayson was fast asleep in his new car seat.

"Oh a quick question." All eyes fell on Stefan. He pulled a confused face. "How the hell are you two brunettes again?" He wondered. "I'm no expert in hair but surely that's not right."

I chuckled. "Freya showed Kai a spell."

Stefan nodded slowly. "I kind of liked the blonde." He said with a small smile. "It was growing on me."

Kai snorted a laugh, with his eyes locked on his phone. I watched him scroll through his Twitter feed and simply shook my head.

"What are you reading?" I asked Kai, seeing him now scrolling through pages of text.

"Fan fiction." I exchanged a look with Stefan when we heard Kai's answer.

"Fan fiction?" I repeated. He nodded and put his phone down to look at me.

"As in fictional stories written by a fan?"

Kai looked confused. "Yes, what's the big deal?"

"Why?" Stefan and I asked.

"Because I didn't like the ending of Star Wars and this person wrote a better one." He explained, like it so obvious. "In this one, Vader doesn't die and ends up taking over the galaxy."

I opened my mouth to comment then realised that Kai was the perfect target audience for that genre. So, instead I shrugged and kissed his cheek. "Whatever makes you happy, Malachai."

"I'd be happy if you let me try-"

"No."

Stefan rose a brow but didn't speak. "She won't let me try an-"

"Kai, for the last time stop telling everyone about our sex life." I cut in.

Stefan chuckled and Kai looked back at him. "Have you done it? I mean you've been alive long enough."

"I have."

"With Elena?" My eyes widened and Stefan sent Kai a glare. He smirked. "My bad, Caroline?"

"I'm not telling you anything else about my sex life." Stefan kept his eyes on the toad and Kai huffed.

"You guys are boring." He looked around then grinned. "Threesome?"

"Kai!" Stefan and I said at the same time. He huffed.

"Damon would've agreed."

++++

"Damon, greetings." I said when I answered his call.

"Riley." He beamed from the other end. "Is there a reason why haven't you been answering me?"

"Been a little busy Damon, you know with a huntress after my boyfriend."

"Speaking of that." He paused and laughed. "Why did you go with Kai and Stefan? Just curious since you don't have a mark."

"I went with Kai because I know he won't do well without me."

Kai scoffed, turning around to look at me. "I'd do fine."

I know. I just love being with you, Kai. I thought.

"If you say so." I replied to Kai.

"How's the big man?" Damon asked, referring to his brother.

I looked out the window. We had stopped to get more petrol and Valerie had met us there. I saw the two of them, talking in the store.

"He's with Valerie, but so far he's been doing fine."

"I need to stretch my legs." Kai said to no one, getting out the car. I watched him stretch his arms and legs from the window.

"Hello." Damon's voice snapped me out of my daze.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

"I asked, how close you guys were?"

"I think it'll be at least another few hours." I said, with a shrug. "Stefan is driving ridiculous fast with means we're getting there quicker but also using more petrol."

He let out a deep breath. "Alright, just make it back safe." He told me. "I'll see you soon."

"See you soon, Damon." I replied before I ended the call.

I checked on Grayson, he had just been fed and was back asleep. Kai peered at me through the window, tapping the window with a smile. I smiled back with a wave. He waved then stopped and hissed in pain. My eyebrows fused together and I sat up straighter in the car. Opening up the car door, I gasped when I saw blood seeping through his shirt, over where his mark was.

"Kai." I cried when he fell down onto the ground. His hand stayed over his chest scar and I hurried by his side. Cupping his face, I put my hand over his, on his chest.

"Kai, Kai." I cried again. "What's wrong?" My throat got tighter and was harder to see with tears in my eyes. "Kai, don't you dare die on me!" I sobbed, especially when I saw his arms begin to become grey and veins appear.

I let out a loud sob and held his face tighter so his eyes met mine. He was gasping for air, as if the life was being sucked out of him. "Kai." I said quietly. "Kai don't die on me. Or I will kill you." I realised what I said and shook my head.

"Don't worry, Ri." He managed to say.

I shook my head. "No, Malachai." I weeped. "You're not dying." I kissed his forehead.

"If I do die, Ri." He paused and winced. "Make it an open casket, people need to see this face."

"I don't want to give children nightmares." I replied and he grinned while the skin on his neck turned grey, dark veins showing on the surface. I let out another sob, kissing his forehead again. "Kai, don't die on me." I begged. "This can't be happening."

As if my words were a spell, he suddenly faded back to his normal complexion. He gasped and sat up straight, clutching his chest. I heard another gasp and saw Stefan in the same condition as Kai. I looked back at with a smile and threw my arms around him. He hugged me back tight. "See, you're not dying today."

Kai laughed, kissing my cheek. I smiled. "I wasn't planning to Ri."

++++

A.N -

- Apologises, this is such a short chapter but I hope you're all still liking it.

- Comment whatever

- New chapter soon and I hope it'll be longer.

- Peace.