21

"Are you almost ready, Ri?" Kai asked, appearing in the doorway. I looked at him through the mirror.

"I'm just finishing off my hair." I told him. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"It is." He walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder. "Jo agreed to watch Grayson for the night and I want this chance to make things better for you." He squeezed my shoulder. "For us."

I gave him a small smile. "I guess so." I replied. "It has been a while since I've been out."

"You and me both." He replied with a small laugh. "Trust me Ri." He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "It'll be good for us to spend some alone time together without everything distracting us."

I looked at him for a few moments then nodded. "It can give us time to talk."

Kai nodded. "I know, Ri." He said. "But I was thinking we spend tonight forgetting everything that has happened and just enjoy that I'm back with you."

"You know it's not that easy Kai." I said. "Three years, I can't forget that."

"I know you can't, but we have the rest of our lives for me to make this up to you." He took ahold of my hands and squeezed them gently. "So tonight let's just try and enjoy ourselves like we used to."

I glanced down at his hands in mine then up at his face. "I guess."

Kai smiled and kissed my forehead. "Now come on, Gray will be a teenager by the time you're ready."

"Shut up." I laughed and pushed him slightly. He walked out of the bedroom, laughing. 

++++

"You know you love dancing with me, Malachai." I teased, holding his hands as I pulled him onto the dancefloor with me.

Kai rolled his eyes, but grinned when he noticed my hips sway to the beat of the song. "You're so bossy."

I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck to bring his face inches from mine. "Don't act like you don't love it." I shrugged. 

Kai smirked and his arms snaked around my hips to remove any distance from our bodies. I toyed with the ends of his hair. "I've missed holding you." He kissed my forehead.

"We agreed to not act like that." I reminded him and he nodded. "Tonight is just about us being together, nothing else."

"Nothing else." He said before leaning down to kiss me. I pulled back when I felt his hands slide down to cup my ass. I moved his hands away. "I got carried away, my bad."

"Let's just dance for now." I said. "I love this song anyways."

"And I love you." He kissed my cheek and I smiled.

++++

"How long has Grayson been able to siphon?" Kai wondered, when we did another shot.

I set down the glass and tried to focus so I could remember. He used the spell that allowed us to feel the alcohol. "How did you know he could-"

"He told me." He answered. "He said there was a light when he grabbed you."

I nodded. "The first time he did it was when he was probably around one, he was acting up because I took away a knife he was playing with."

"How did he get the knife?"

"He moves fast." Kai chuckled. "Grayson grabbed my arm in protest and siphoned some of my magic, I don't think he realised what he did until he saw how it affected me."

"But why a knife?"

"He's your son." I reminded him, nudging his arm. Kai chuckled.

"So, what did you say to him?"

"I brushed it off, because I don't think he even realised what happened. But I explained the best I could to him recently about it because he has a habit of doing it." I turned to look at him. "So there's where he needs you to help him control it."

"He doesn't need to control it, he needs to embrace it."

I shook my head. "Kai, Grayson is three. He doesn't need to have this burden-"

"Burden?"

I sighed. "You know what I mean, Kai." I replied. "I don't want Grayson to be involved with this whole supernatural bullshit at three. He deserves a somewhat normal childhood and that's what I plan to give him."

Kai went quiet for a few seconds, then called over the bartender for more shots. I decided to drop this conversation and change the topic.

"Tonight has been fun." I put my hand on his arm. He looked at me. "You were right, we needed tonight."

Kai smiled. "That's because I'm always right."

"Don't get ahead of yourself Malachai." He smiled even wider and I smiled back, before kissing him again.

+++++

A.N -

- New chapter, apologises its so short but next chapter will be longer.

- Gif above is Riley and song is FKA Twigs ft the Weeknd, 'Tears in the Club'

- Next chapter up soon.