26

"Mummy!" My beautiful little boy exclaimed, waving at me. I smiled and waved back. Jo was holding the phone but moved the camera to put Grayson in view.

"Hey." I leaned in to kiss the camera. "I miss you so much."

"Mummy, when will you and daddy be home?" He asked, looking a little upset.

"Soon, baby." I said. "Very soon, we're nearly there." I reassured him, holding my phone to show my face.

"How soon?" Grayson wondered. He sighed, running his small hand down his face. "Mummy it's been ages."

I nodded, he looked cute when he was frustrated. "I know, Gray. We'll be home for dinner."

"Will daddy tuck me in?" He asked with a smile. I glanced at Kai who was smiling and turned the camera onto him.

"Sure thing buddy." Kai said and Grayson smiled.

I put the camera back on me. "And then tomorrow we can go out for a day at the beach." He gasped and I smiled. "How does that sound?"

He cheered and I laughed. "Riley not to be downer." Jo turned the phone to make her in view. I raised my eyebrows. "But, what about Bonnie?"

"I know." I sighed, shrugging a little. "But I really need a day with him."

Jo nodded. "I get that." She said. "But please promise me, next time you say watch him for a few hours. It is actually a few hours." I laughed and she shook her head.

"I'm sorry about that."

"I do love him, but he can be a handful."
She let out a deep breath, her head shaking a little.

I hummed. "I'm aware."

"Aunty Jo, can I speak to mummy again?" I heard Grayson's small voice say from the other end. She nodded.

"I'll see you soon Jo."

"Likewise Riley." She replied, before the camera went to my son.

"Mummy are we still getting a dog?" He asked, doing the head tilt exactly like Kai. "Daddy said we could."

I let out a deep breath and Kai took a sharp left to swerve around the car in front of us. "Learn how to drive you di-"

"Innocent ears." I interrupted.

"My bad."

Kai rolled his eyes, checking his phone before looking at me. "Ri." I hummed, raising my eyebrows.

"Yeah?"

"Your phone is nearly dead."

I pouted with disappointment. "What's wrong, mummy?" Grayson asked.

"Grayson, we have to go, my phone is nearly dead."

My heart hurt when I saw his face drop. "Oh." He said, in a small voice.

"Hey." I told him when I noticed he was on the verge of tears. "Don't cry, because next time we speak I'll be tucking you in bed at home with daddy." He nodded, wiping his eyes and I sighed. Kai gave me a comforting smile, his hand on my thigh. "Now I need to go, but I love you so much and we'll see you soon."

Moving the camera to show Kai, he smiled waving. "See you soon, love you." He said, before focusing back on the road.

"Bye mummy, bye daddy." Grayson waved.

I blew him a kiss. "Bye Grayson. We love you both so much and we'll be home tonight." I replied, waving with Kai until I ended the call.  Switching off my phone, I run my hands through my hair. "I feel so bad for him." I glanced over at him.