11

"When is everyone up for more travelling?" I wondered, lifting up my sunglasses.

Valerie glanced over at Stefan, who looked at Kai. He was too busy reading the menu to notice anything. His eyes lifted up and he rose a brow. "Did I miss something?"

All of us just sighed. "I think the sooner the better." Stefan said, ignoring him. "We need to maintain our lead on Rayna."

"So Hawaii it is then." I said with forced enthusiasm in my voice. Hawaii seemed like a beautiful place to visit but what Kai had told me stuck me with because it was true: how many more dead leads would we follow and how much more time would we waste chasing something that might not exist?

"It'll only be a couple of days." Valerie told me, probably sensing the tone of my voice. "I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say travelling is getting quite tiresome now."

"You can say that again." Kai uttered, putting down the menu. His shoulders fell and he looked at us all, particularly Stefan. "How much longer are we going to avoid the truth Stefan?"

"Kai.." He said in a warning tone. "Not now."

"Stefan there is no cure for this." Kai hissed, pulling his shirt aside to show his scar. Stefan looked away. "Rayna will eventually capture us and trap our souls."

"Kai don't be so-"

"So realistic? So rationale? So honest?" He interrupted Valerie. She pursed her lips together. "Valerie it's useless, not even an original witch could help us. I'm getting sick of getting my hopes up just to have them crushed." Kai glanced over at me. "I'm not going to Hawaii, I don't care anymore about finding something that probably doesn't even exist."

"Kai-"

"Riley, we have just over ten months left." He said, interrupting me. He looked at me and took my hand in his. "I'm not wasting them being chased something invisible."

I had nothing to say for a while and the table was uncomfortably quiet. I blinked a few tears away, seeing the defeat in his eyes. "What does that mean then when our year is up?" I asked him to break the silence. "What are you going to do?"

Kai shrugged. "Accept what's coming to me."

A tear fell down my cheek. "Kai-"

"At least that way you and Gray will be safe." His eyes glanced down to Grayson. "She won't be after you especially if she already has me."

"You can't be so sure of that." I said in a small voice, avoiding his eye.

"I'll make sure of it." He replied. "Stefan, you and Valerie can go to Hawaii but we aren't going."

"Kai, this isn't a good idea."

"It's the rationale idea, you'll see it too soon." Stefan just sighed but chose to not argue with him anymore.

Instead he said. "I guess time will just tell."

++++

"Will you give me a second to explain-"

"Explain!" I went to hit Kai's chest again but he grabbed my wrists. "You're giving up, you're giving up on me, on Grayson and on yourself."

"I'm doing the right thing and you know that." He said with his brows narrowed. "How is Grayson meant to live a normal life knowing there's a hunter after him, that he can't be near his own dad because that'll only put him at harm."

"So what am I meant to tell him?" I asked. I knew there was logic to his words but my emotions took the best of me. "That his dad was a coward who gave up before doing everything think he could?"

Kai glared and in seconds I was pinned at the wall with his hand on my jaw. He inhaled sharply through his nose. "I know you agree with me so I'm going to ignore that."

"You're going to abandon me." I pushed him off me. "Abandon Grayson." I pushed him again. "Abandon us." Another push, this time he caught me and wrapped his arms around me. "Don't leave us." I said in a small voice between sobs.

Kai didn't speak, he just wrapped his arms tighter around me. He ran his hand down my back and kissed my head.

There was no other noise in the room other than my sobs. Valerie offered to watch Grayson because everyone knew breakfast had left things in an awkward situation. Her and Stefan decided it would be best Kai and I talked.

"It's not leaving if I don't say goodbye." Kai said breaking the silence.

My sobs faded and I looked up at him with my blurred vision. "Don't you dare say that."

"You know it's the right thing." Kai cupped my face with his hands and wipes away my tears. "Grayson needs at least one parent."

"Just because it's the right thing doesn't mean we have to do it." I told him. "It doesn't mean I want it."

"I don't want it either." He said. "But it's for both of us, for Grayson."

I didn't speak for a few moments. "So now what then?"

"Nothing changes." Kai said, reaching down and taking ahold of my hand. "You still get your year but we're not wasting it chasing someone that doesn't exist." I glanced down at my hands in his then back at his face. "We can go anywhere." He added. "Anywhere you want, do anything you want. Just me, you and Grayson."

"But what if Stefan finds something?" I wondered. "What if there's a-"

"What if, Ri." He cut in. "It's always what ifs and we will discuss that if the time comes."

When the time comes. I hoped.

I nodded, I had nothing else to say. Kai could sense this and brought me into his arms, I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his neck. I inhaled his scent and it broke me knowing there would be a last time I was in his arms.

++++

A.N -

- New chapter, apologises it took a while but I hope you enjoy

- Gif above is of Victoria Justice who I view as Riley but use whoever you want.

- New chapter up soon.

- Peace.