Essence of Lydia---> Chapter 10: Atticus' POV

As I’d begun following her, she began to break out into a jog. To keep up with her because I was still a lot behind, I began to jog as well. She seemed to sense this and began to pick up speed. Was she challenging me or something? I smiled at the thought that she could possibly think she could outrun me of all people. I picked up speed as well. At that moment, she broke out into a full sprint.

What the hell?! This chick was super fast. She seemed to be enjoying herself as well, as if the run was nothing and she was just toying with me as she ran. I tried to speed up as well, but I knew I wasn’t going to be able to run for that long.

I pushed my legs harder as I noticed that she was beginning to disappear into the distance.

Finally, I came to an abrupt stop beside her. She suddenly gone rigid, looking around with a look of horror. What was she thinking about?

Slowly, Embry moved her gaze up to me. I was taken aback by the intensity held within her beautiful eyes. Not backing down, I decided to speak up.

“What are we doing here?” I asked finally, cautious as to what she’d say. She hesitated, but I didn’t miss the big gulp she seemed to take in before answering me.

“I-I have no idea, but we have to get out of here.” She said, sounding as if it were the most important thing for us to do at the moment. I hadn’t even taken in my surroundings yet, but my eyes were glued to the gorgeous angel in front of me.

“Why are you so paranoid of being here?” I asked confused and a little amused as well. I looked at her in shock as I saw goose-bumps beginning to form. Before I could utter a single syllable more, she spoke.

“I-I just d-don’t like it here is all. We have to go. Bad things happen when I’m here and my emotions are out of control.” The more she spoke, the more it confused me. What the hell was she hinting at? I had taken hold of her then, unable to stop myself. She tugged, struggling to get out of my grip, but failing miserably. It was as if she were a cat trying to run away from a bath.

She stared deeply into my eyes then, pleading for us to leave. Her eye held complete panic in them. She began to breathe in and out, trying to calm herself I assumed. Cautiously, I took in my surroundings. That was exactly when I realized where we were. Shit!

“Graveyard.” I spat, knowing exactly why she’d wanted to run. I was about to start running with her hand in my grasp, but then I saw true panic seize hold of her and she tensed. She seemed to be trying to calm herself so that her powers didn’t take over her completely like it had for me when my emotions ran wild. The ground began to tremble. Somehow, I sensed that this was different from the time I’d raised a ghost in the forest back home. She broke out into a cold-sweat and I knew I had to get her away pronto. I tugged on her arm, but she seemed frozen, unable to move. I tried to catch her gaze, but it seemed to be glazed over; as if she were lost in thought at the moment.

Slowly, she actually did move; although it was in the direction of a certain tombstone. What the hell did she think she was doing?! I tried to tug her away, but she just kept moving forward. How the hell was I supposed to stop her? Dev had said it was dangerous for us to be raising ghosts.

Finally, with a hard tug and me shouting her name, she came to a stop. Before she could begin walking again, I turned her to face me. Her gaze still seemed to be glazed over and I knew partly what I had to do to snap her out of her trance.

I looked her in the eyes nervously, and then began to move closer to her gradually. After a few agonizing seconds, my lips touched hers.