[ 1 o ] sadness [ r a v e n ]

• Dedicated to my parents

sadness [n.]: 1. The state or emotion of being sad; 2. An event in one’s life that causes sadness.

“Hey, are you going to eat that?”

   Even though Tala knew I was in probably one of my most saddening moments of my life, she still had the nerve of putting in humor while we were eating dinner. Well, that was what humor is to Tala, at least.

   “No, sure, you can have it.” I told her, allowing her to take some of my food from my plate and put it into hers.

   “What in the world is happening to you, Raven?” My mother demanded. “I mean, it’s not like Fae won’t be coming back or something. She told us she’ll be visiting our house in a few days or so.”

   I stopped chewing immediately. “She said that?”

   “Yeah… Well, her neighbor told me that. He told me that Fae asked if he could pass on the message to either me or you.”

   “Oh.” Of course, that’s probably a lie. I mean, how many times have Fae said in her letters and in her e-mail that she will never come back? She’s been saying “I’m sorry” over and over again like two or three repetitions aren’t enough already.

   C’mon Raven, man up. You know for a fact that the only thing you can do now is let her go.

   Let her go.

   I stood up from my seat and walked up to my room.

   “You’re not going to finish your food?” My mom asked.

   “I’m not hungry.” I childishly answered.

   I spent the rest of my time in my bedroom, tossing a stress ball I found on my desk up and down with my hands while I was lying on my bed. I couldn’t fall asleep. Who could, when so many things have happened in my life in just a day.

   I heard a knock on the door, but I didn’t say a thing. I just continued tossing the green stress ball.

   Green, her favorite color.

   “Raven?” Tala’s voice called softly from the other side of the door.

   I didn’t answer. I threw the ball to my desk. It bounced on the wall and rolled on the ground.

   The door opens. Shoot, I thought I locked that.

   “Hey big bro.” She said. I just crossed my arms and stared at the ceiling. “Sorry for the intrusion.”

   She sat on my bed and looks at me with sad eyes. I couldn’t help but stare back. Her beautiful blue eyes shined right at me. The eyes that perfectly reminds me of Fae.

   “Your life hasn’t ended yet.” She said.

   It took me a minute before I finally decided to answer back. “How would you know?”

   She finds something on her shorts and took it out, giving it to me. I hesitatingly took it while narrowing my suspicious eyes at her. She never changed her expression.

   The object that she gave me was a letter. The envelope was already opened, so it was easy for me to just take the note inside, unfolding the piece of paper and reading it.

   It only took me lesser than half a second to figure out who’s handwriting was sprawled onto that two-page letter.