Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

There are times in life when you are content with what you have, a family, a bunch of trustworthy friends who are a just call away when you need them in your toughest and roughest times and a boyfriend who makes you feel like the luckiest girl alive, but then just one unanticipated and unexpected event occurs that sweeps you off your feet. Times which make you question if this kind of happiness is humanly possible to experience.

Times like now, as I covered my mouth with my hand due to astonishment and excitement as I stood dumbstruck in front of Blake, who was yet standing on his knee, looking at me expectantly for an answer. The lunch room was filled with silence as all the eyes were concentrated on us, right now. But I couldn't care less. The silence was broken when Emily hollered over her lungs, "Say yes, Grace!" She gave me a thumbs-up before she stood up from her seat and signaled everyone to join her, "Come on! Say yes!" Em grinned.

"Say yes! Say yes! Say yes!" The hoots resonated in the lunch room.

I lowered my gaze towards Blake who was yet grinning at me, the pain of standing on his one knee since a while lacing over his features. "Yes. Yes, I'll go to the prom with you!" I said with a full blown grin. It was just a matter of second before Blake was up from his position and his arms were placed around my torso, pulling me towards him. Whistles and hoots could be heard around us as Blake grinned at me before crashing his lips against mine. Blake's grip tightened over me as I let my fingers go through his dark locks. I pulled away from him, realizing we are putting up a show for the school as cheers became louder. He rested his forehead against mine and smiled before looking me in the eye, "God, I love you." He breathed out.

"Mutual, Evans. Mutual."

-

"Okay, red is sultry and sexy but black gives you the whole 'hot momma look'." Em said, as she sketched the design of my dress. Maya and Em decided to come over to make some designs for the big night which is after two weeks. Whilst I sat comfortably on my bed, Em sprawled onto the carpet while Maya was seated at my study table, arguing with Em to not make her neckline any deeper. "Sheesh, Maya. You've got to show your assets. Quit being a prude." Em huffed, clearly exasperated by Maya's constant whining.

"Prude? I'm being a prude? Give me one good reason for agreeing to your moronic idea of this horrible neckline?" Maya asked her incredulously. "Boys at our school are horn-dogs and I don't even have a date who could escort me." Maya grunted.

"I can hook you up with one of the jocks." Em offered with a 'say yes before I knock your face off' smile, "I mean, there are some decent dudes I know. Want me to make some calls, some arrangements?" She asked, suggestively wiggling her eyebrows at Maya who rolled her eyes at the vibrant blonde.

"Nah, I'd rather much stay home and watch some military documentaries with Sean than go to the stupid prom, dateless!" Maya said, raising her tone. Clearly she was annoyed. "I think I should head home, not really in a mood to discuss about dresses I won't even wear in the first place." Maya mumbled, as she gathered her things that were scattered on my study and stuffed them in her handbag. She walked over to me and gave me light hug, asking me to take care. Waving at Em, she stomped out of the bedroom. I walked over to the window to see her annoyingly shut her car and driving off.

"What's up with her?" I asked Em confusedly, who went back to sketching my dress. "I've never seen her so upset." I mumbled, having the last bite of the chocolate brownie that the girls helped me prepare.

"Maybe someone lit the fuse of her tampon." She commented snidely.

"Or maybe she's upset to not have a date." I reasoned.