Chapter Thirty-Six

^Rachel McQuaid

Chapter Thirty-Six

"Don't look at me like I lost your makeup, Emmy." Maya mumbled, rolling her eyes at Em who was gaping at Maya with her mouth hanging down. Well, I couldn't blame her since this was something I didn't expect.

"Why didn't you tell us, Maya?" I asked her, disappointment floating in my voice. I was upset by the fact that she didn't bother telling us something so important. But then, I cannot probably accuse her for being discreet since I had done the same, few months ago. That would simply be hypocritical of me.

Maya fiddled with her fingers, keeping her gaze down while we patiently waited for her to answer. "I was ashamed. And scared. I was scared to lose you'll, had you'll known that I'm a freak." Maya mumbled.

"Maya." I whispered and took her hand in mine. "You're not a freak. Just a little different." I said.

"And that's totally normal." Em chimed in, pulling Maya into a side hug. The nervousness of Maya faded away and smile of relief formed on her lips. "We're gonna have your back, that's what best friends are for, you dumb idiot." She said, hitting Maya's shoulder playfully.

"Thank you." Maya smiled gratefully at us as she continued, "For accepting me for who I am and not being judgmental." Maya said, as a tear drop rolled down her cheek.

"Hey." I said, wiping the tear drop, "That's the least we can do for you, May." I stretched my arms, gesturing them for a group hug. They let out a chuckle and crawled their way towards me and snaked their arms around my torso.

"Best friends in the good times, in the bad times." We whispered our friendship mantra, still in the same position. We composed ourselves and I rested my back against the soft pillow since I was experiencing mild backache while the girls sat in the Indian position in front of me. A wide grin formed on my face as I clapped my hands excitedly, "Tell us about your girl, Maya! Is she from our school?"

She let out a soft chuckle, "Where do I start from?"

"From the very beginning!" Em exclaimed excitedly.

Maya nodded at us in acknowledgement. "So, her name's Sarah and she goes to the community college, it's a one hour drive from here." Maya said.

"Sarah, eh. Pretty name." Em wiggled her eyebrows teasingly at Maya, whose cheeks turned a light shade of red.

"Aww, you're blushing!" I exclaimed, excitedly pointing my finger towards her and let out a laugh. We've never discussed Maya's love life, well we now know the reason why, so seeing her blush was something really unconventional and very much amusing. "Do you have a picture of her?" I asked her. "Is she pretty? Hot? Cute? What!?" I asked hysterically.

"Girl, relax." Maya laughed. "And to answer your question, yes, I do have a picture of her." She said. She pulled her phone from the pocket of her jeans and unlocked it. She scrolled through her gallery and her lips twitched up in a dreamy smile when she passed on the phone to me. Em rapidly came towards me and snaked her arm around my shoulder as we marveled at the girl who stole our best friend's heart.