Chapter Twelve.

Chapter Twelve.

I stared at Amanda as a kid who was given a surprise chemistry test. Various kinds of thoughts popped up in my mind at the same time, which created a clutter and reduced my thinking and contemplating efficiency.

"You were pregnant?" I asked dubiously. A small smile grew on Amanda's face. She nodded her head whilst she removed the clean dishes from the washer, and arranged them neatly in their respective cabinets. "What happened?" I asked softly.

"Life happened." She smiled wailfully. She continued, "I lost Noah and Neil during the delivery. They couldn't survive. I couldn't do anything to save my babies." She stuttered and broke down into a stream of tears, of hurt and helplessness. I pulled her into my arms and stroked her back gently as she sobbed onto my shoulder.

What we see isn't exactly what and how it is. Today, when I first saw Amanda at the doorstep, teasing and scowling at her brother, I thought her to be a carefree yet a responsible girl with a steady head on her shoulders. She seemed like one of those ambitious girls who wanted to achieve something in life.

Little did I know that she was a heartbroken mother, who was still mourning the loss of her children.

It is now I realize how much I love the little one who is growing within me. I now realize how I can do anything, just to see my baby happy.

Amanda sniffled a couple of times and wiped her tears, after freeing herself from my grip. "I'm sorry you had to listen to my issues." Amanda apologized.

"Amanda, I'm really sorry for your loss. But you know what? Things will be fine, just give it some time." I said.

"That's what everyone says when they try to console me." She said with a shrug.

"That's because it's a fact." 

Amanda wiped her hands with a dry towel and turned towards me. "You have to promise me one thing. You will do everything in your power to stay healthy and do everything for the sake of your baby."

"You have my word." I assured her with a smile. Involuntarily, my hand made its way towards my flat stomach. I drew circles on it, imagining it to bulge out in a few months. Amanda smiled at my action.

"Does your boyfriend know?" She asked.

"I, um don't have a boyfriend." I whispered. How could I tell her that her brother impregnated me while we both were highly intoxicated. Not only Blake would find out the girl he's chasing is me but also I will lose him, as a friend. And I didn't want either of them to happen. "I was at this party where I slept with someone." I said.

"Someone?" Amanda pressed.

"My crush." I said, defeatedly.

"Why don't you let him know? I mean, he should be informed. This is his child too, after all." She said, pointing towards my belly. If only I could tell you, Amanda.

"He's in love with someone else. I cannot ruin up things for him due to my mistake." I said.

"You are a good person, Grace. I appreciate your thoughtfulness but I really feel he should know. For your child's sake." Amanda tried convincing me.

"I think I will. But now is not the time." I said. Amanda did push it further and trotted to her room, as she was very tired after a long day. I climbed upstairs to my bedroom and changed into my comfortable pyjamas and one of dad's old t-shirt. My hair had become a bit sweaty, so I tied it into a small ponytail.