Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

"Are you sure he's here?" I asked Em, referring to Maya's apparent love interest, Jack, who was supposed to arrive in the laboratory any moment. Maya was being kept preoccupied by Blake and Damon in the lunch room as we were hiding outside the lab. "What if he's not even in school, right now? What if he's in the back yard of his house, building a space shuttle to Jupiter?" I asked her bewilderingly.

"You watch a lot of Phineas and Ferb." Em deadpanned.

I simply shrugged my shoulders, "Those kids are kickass."

"Disagree. They're stupid knuckleheads who..oh, wait." Em whispered the last part. She cautiously watched Jack, who walked into the laboratory. Settling down at table in the corner of the room, he began munching on an apple while he flipped through the pages of his thick chemistry text book. "Target's in front of my view." Em said, whispering discreetly like a FBI agent.

"I can see him too, Em." I scoffed, rolling my eyes at her. We walked into the room towards Jack, who was pretty much oblivious to our arrival. I cleared my throat in order to gain his attention. He glanced towards us and upon noticing my presence, he shot me a friendly grin. "Hi, Jack." I greeted him, returning the gesture.

"Grace, hi." He said, with a small wave. When his eyes fell upon Em, his grin grew wider as he excitedly pointed at her, "Tube-light girl, right?" He asked.

"I am a what?" Em asked with confusion. She looked between Jack and I in attempt to get an answer but she couldn't as I was trying to stifle my laughter while Jack was widely grinning at Em. "Hello?" She asked.

"I don't think you know me but I had carried you to the nurse's room when you fainted due to extensive exposure to the tube light in the lunch room." Jack said with a proud smile.

"Extensive exposure to tube light? When the fuck did that.."

Before Em could continue querying about something she has no idea, I interjected in, "Let's leave the pleasantries aside."

"But.."

"Jack, we have to ask you a very serious question and it's a matter of life and death for me, Em and someone else. You have to be promise to be truthful to us under any circumstance." I ranted and took a deep breath in. I glanced at Em who just blinking her eyes cluelessly at me. Not that I blame her.

Jack was gaping at me with a blank look before he decided to speak up, "Are you interrogating me for a crime I didn't commit?" Jack asked with a humorless laugh whilst he scratched the back of his neck with sheer discomposure

Ignoring his question, I jumped straight to the point, "Do you like Maya Palmer?"

"Maya? Your best friend?" Jack asked with a small smile.