Chapter 12

"Why are you so quiet?" Daryl asked as they drove home from school.

"No reason." Lorna mumbled in reply.

"Yeah there is. Ever since Shane's stupid comments you've been acting different."

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just tired, I didn't get any sleep last night." She mumbled. It was partly true at least. She wasn't about to tell him that Shane's comments had bothered her.

"Alright." He mumbled and they continued their drive in silence.

"Maybe we should use some of that money to get some proper food and some water." She said as she glanced out of the window, watching as the trees and buildings past by.

"We don't have to spend it. It's your money." He stated. "I'm good at catching stuff, squirrels, rabbits, maybe a deer."

"I don't doubt your ability Daryl but we can't live on just meat and we haven't got any running water at the house."

"Alright." He nodded, not wanting to argue over it. He hated that she was providing the money though. Wasn't that the man's job?

He wondered if he could pack school in and find a job, but who would hire a seventeen year old with no fixed address, no qualifications and is known to be the towns drunks, son.

They drove just out of town to the store, to decrease the chance of them seeing anyone they knew.

They were in and out quickly, picking up tinned and packet food, stuff that was easy to make on the fire. They also picked up cases of water as they didn't have running water. They didn't get much though because Daryl was sure he knew how to get the water running.

"I'll try and sort something for the generator too, then we will have electricity." Daryl said as they put he bags into the back of the truck.

"I think we can survive until then." Lorna smiled in return.

"Come on then, let's get back." He smiled.

She nodded and walked around to the passenger side. Unable to shake off the feeling of being watched. She looked around but couldn't see anyone obviously watching them. She shrugged the feeling off, simply putting it down to being paranoid.

"Will you tell me what's bothering you now? Because if it was Shane, I'll beat his ass!" Daryl said as they set off back to the house.

She sighed. "Nothing he said was a lie Daryl." She stated. "I'm just a kid, a mess of one too." She mumbled.

"Ain't we all a little messed up?" He asked. "You've been through more than some adults have. You're strong and mature. Don't listen to that ass wipe. He doesn't know a damn thing, only how to get his dick wet." He scoffed angrily.

"Woah! I didn't need to know that." She chuckled as she covered her ears. He joined in with her laughter.

When they arrived back, they packed everything away before Daryl left Lorna alone to wonder around the house aimlessly as he worked on getting the water back on.

He was only working on it an hour before he gave up, frustrated that he couldn't make it work.

Lorna silently handed him a bottle of water as he sat down on the rickety wooden chair. He was sweaty and his cheeks were bright red.

She stood behind the chair and placed her hands on his shoulders.

"Stop stressing." She whispered.

He laid his head back against chest. "I just want everything to be perfect." He replied as he placed his large, rough hand over one of her own.

"It is, we're away from them..that's what matters, plus we have each other, don't we?" She asked, as she brushed his hair from his sweaty forehead.

He nodded. "Always." He whispered.

"Well enough of the mushy stuff, I think you should show off your crossbow skills." Lorna grinned.

He smirked. "Alright then, but quiet footsteps this time." He chuckled as he stood up from the chair.

An hour into their hunt and Daryl had successfully showed of his crossbow skills and caught two decent sized rabbits. When they returned back to the house he began gutting and skinning them.

"Want me to teach you how to-"

"Nope, no way, no thank you!" Lorna said as she held her hand up to her eyes so she didn't have to look at the half skinned rabbit he was holding up.

"Stop being a girl." He teased.

"The last time I checked I was a girl!" She shot back.

"Yeah...I noticed that too." He mumbled.

"What was that?" She asked.

"Nothing." He replied, thankful she hadn't heard him.

He mentally scolded himself for thinking the way he was.

"Maybe I'm more like my father than I believe." He thought sadly.

He looked over at Lorna who was crouched down looking at a flower blooming by the house. She had a small smile on her face as she picked it.

He watched as she let her hair down before braiding the flower into her hair and over her shoulder.

"I'd prefer a flower crown so I can pretend to be a hippy, but hey, this will do." She chuckled as she turned back to him. "What are you looking at me like that for?" She asked shyly.

"Don't ever stop smiling." He told her.

She blushed and looked down at the ground. "Why?" She asked.

"Because you have a beautiful smile, one everyone should see."

She blushed again. "And you look adorable when you get all shy." He chuckled making her blush more.

"Stop it." She whined.

He grinned. "Sorry.." He said before focusing back on his work.

He could see her out the corner of his eye, rocking back and forth on her heels.

"Hey Daryl.." She said making him look back.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"You know those broken pieces i told you about?" She asked.

He nodded.

"I think they're getting a little easier to mend."

•••

What do you think?

Vote and comment.