Chapter 31

The hospital was cold and uninviting, Daryl wanted nothing more than to run for the exit, but Sheriffs Grimes firm grip on his shoulder was stopping him.

"Are you sure you want to see her?" Sheriff Grimes asked.

Daryl nodded slowly. "Have too." He whispered.

He nodded and began to lead Daryl to the room Lorna was in.

"Is she okay?" Daryl asked.

"The doctor said she has an infection, but she's fighting it off well. She hasn't spoken since she arrived so don't be too upset if she doesn't respond to you." The Sheriff explained.

"And the...the baby?"

"They believe the baby died in the birth canal, he had a heart problem. If Lorna had been able to have a scan during her pregnancy, it might have been detected, but they couldn't be sure."

Daryl stopped still. "If she had gotten to a hospital...would he have survived?" He asked turning to Sheriff Grimes.

"He would have had a better chance yes. I do have to be honest with you, but we can never be sure." He explained.

"I'm going to kill him." Daryl stated calmly. "My father...I am going to kill him."

Sheriff Grimes didn't seem surprised by Daryl's words. He nodded simply. "Let's see Lorna first shall we?"

Daryl nodded. "Alright."

Daryl entered the room slowly, standing in the doorway as he stared at the bed Lorna laid in.

"I'll be right outside. Don't expect much, okay?" Sheriff Grimes said.

Daryl nodded once and turned back to Lorna.

She was awake, but staring at the opposite wall. She was hooked up to all kinds of machines and wires.

She made no movement as he approached the side of the bed.

"Lorna?" His voice cracked as he spoke. She looked so weak, pale and looked so much smaller than the last time he saw her. Her face was sunken in, her hair limp and dry.

"Lorna?" He repeated as he sat down on the chair beside her bed.

She looked back at him, but said nothing.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you."

He watched as she reached her hand out towards him.

He took her cold hand in his own and rested them both on the bed beside her.

"I'm so, sorry." He whispered. "I'm so, so sorry. I promised to protect you and I failed and now..."

"Shush...it's fine." She said weakly.

"No, it's not." He said, angrily wiping his face of the tears.

"It will be fine then. Eventually." She said. "I just need you Daryl. Don't leave me please."

"I can't promise that at the moment, because I need to leave. I need to do something and I need to do it as soon as possible." He explained. "Like right now." He stated.

"Your Dad?"

She knew him too well.

He nodded.

"Don't get into trouble Daryl. I need you."

"I know. I'll be back. I promise."

He kissed her gently on the forehead before standing from the chair.

"I love you, yeah...don't forget that."

"I promise and Daryl...I love you too. So much." She replied.

Daryl gave her one last look before heading straight to the door.

"Are you okay?" Sheriff Grimes asked as Daryl walked out of the room

"Fine, just fine." He said as he made his way down the corridor.

"Where are you going now?" He asked.

"I think you know where."

"You should let us deal with him. Tell us where you believe your father is and we can deal with him."

"Are you really going to give him what he deserves? I didn't think so. I need to deal with him. He needs to pay for what he did and that is not by serving a cushy prison sentence." Daryl stated.

Sheriff Grimes sighed. "Wait a moment then."

Daryl stopped and turned around to looked at him.

"What?" Daryl asked, becoming annoyed by the delay.

"Be careful."

"I ain't scared of him."

"I'm not talking about your father." He stated. "Do what you need to do Daryl, but I must want you, a tiny speck of evidence could put you away for a long time."

Daryl just nodded. "They'll be nothing to find."

"We never had this conversation. Do you understand me?" Sheriff Grimes asked sternly.

"Yes sir." Daryl replied.

Sheriff Grimes nodded before turning on his heel and disappearing down the corridor back to mind Lorna's hospital room.

"Now or never." Daryl whispered to himself before making his way out of the hospital.

•••

What did you think?

Please check out my other new stories.

•Their Story | Daryl Dixon
•One Shots | NR, DD, AL, RG
•The Dark Side Of Star | Daryl Dixon
•Leather & Lace | Negan

Vote and comment.