How Can I Love You When I Hate You So Much? (Draco Malfoy) Chapter 21

Chapter 21 Family reunions aren't always this weird, are they?

Christmas was fast approaching, and my nerves were shot. No one had even told me my uncle's name, and I was supposed to go to his house, which was somewhere in London, but I wasn't told where. Dumbledore said it was for a good reason, but I think he just liked the suspense.

I sat at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall, Denae sitting next to me, telling me all about her Christmas plans. I don't want to say I didn't care, but...okay, I really didn't care. I was watching the Gryffindor table intently. Fred still hadn't spoken to new since the Quidditch match, and it was starting to get to me.

"So go talk to him." Denae status in my ear. I looked up at her, and chuckled lightly.

"And give him that satisfaction. No way. I'm too good to go crawling back. He should be crawling to me." I said in a cocky tone. Denae laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Don't let it fester too long, or he's just going to move on without you." She said knowingly. I shrugged, trying to pretend I didn't care. Why did I care? Fred was just my in to Potter. Dumbledore says I couldn't tell any of the students why I was here. But how was I going to get them to trust a Slytherin? Especially now. I took Malfoy's side as far as they were concerned. The only person still talking to me was Hermoine, and that was in secret during Advanced Potions. I ground my teeth and stood, bidding Denae goodbye and heading down to my room to finish packing. We had to leave for the train to London in a little over an hour.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

"Miss Hawthorne! Grand to finally meet you. Call me Tonks." A short, bubbly girl with bright pink hair extended her hand as I pulled my trunk behind me. I shook it and smiled.

"Pleasure's mine, honey. Call me Jez. So, Dumbledore didn't explain exactly why I needed Auror escort across London. A map would have been sufficient, really." Tonks took my trunk from me and chuckled.

"I'm told you are just going to have to find out when we get there." She waved her wand and my trunk shrunk to the size of a matchbox, which she shoved in her coat pocket. We walked for a little while in a comfortable silence before she spoke. "So you're a Morph too?" She asked, almost nervously. I laughed and nodded.

"Genetic. My dad was one, but he was an anomaly."

"Me too. Anomaly. Do you use it often?"

"Used to. Not so much anymore." I wasn't sure why this conversation made me sad, but Tonks seemed to catch on, because she changed the subject.

"Ever Apparated before?" She asked, turning to face me again. I nodded with a smile.

"In America, you can Apparate at 15. I could do it on my own if Europe had more faith. Side-along Apparition makes me feel like a baby." I sighed. Tonks chuckled again and offered her arm. I took it with a grumble and felt the familiar pressure of being pulled through a wormhole before landing on my feet on a grubby street in front if a row of townhomes.

"Do you have the note from Dumbledore?" Tonks asked as I straightened my black 69 Eyes t-shirt. I pulled the crumpled parchment from the back pocket of my jeans and read the familiar narrow writing:

The Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix may be found at number twelve, Grimmauld Place, London. Merry Christmas, Jez.

I opened my mouth to ask Tonks what it meant, but in front of me, the townhouses started shifting. It was as though an extra house had inflated, pushing those on either side out of its way. Tonks took the parchment from my hands and lit it on fire before taking my hand. She pulled me up the stone steps of the newly formed number twelve and pushed open the door.