Chapter 9: Scarred But Moving On

"Camz.."

It's already been a week since the incident. Camila hasn't been herself lately and Lauren understood that. The school was informed by the police of the incident and she was let of the hook. Lauren leaves a little late than usual and arrives home earlier than usual to check on Camila. She's been very quiet and reserved, which scared Lauren. She's been trying to get the girl to open up but it seems that it isn't really working. She decided to give Camila the space she needs, but not distance herself too far. She's still there.

"Camz, breakfast is ready."

It's a rainy Saturday morning. The trees outside were swaying back and forth in response to the wind accompanying the strong rain. Camila was in the study, facing the glass door to the balcony, face stuck in a stoic expression. Lauren sneaked up the stairs when the petite girl didn't come down. She has her back to her. Lauren sighed. This was their typical morning the past few days, and if Lauren was being completely honest, the silence was eating her fast.

Lauren made her way beside Camila slowly. She sat down beside her girlfriend, examining her features carefully. She sighed when she noticed the cloudy form of her girlfriend's eyes. The next thing that happened wasn't something she expected to happen today or in a few more days.

"Lauren.."

The girl's eyes widened as she heard the other Latina speak to her for the first time in the past few days. She shifted a bit so she was facing Camila. "What is it Camz?" She asked, eager to keep the conversation going.

"How'd you find me?" Camila looked at Lauren with her now emotion-filled doe eyes. They weren't hazy anymore, emotion could be seen in them unlike the past few days. Lauren stopped and thought for a moment. The guys helped her but she noticed the entire time there was this pulling connection she couldn't explain. It was like she was being drawn.

"Well, we got a message from your phone. It was kind of like a puzzle to solve. Brad and Zayn helped me out and we figured it out together. When we came to the warehouse, we saw Niall come out in a cloak. We had to beat up some guys together with Louis. When I.."

Lauren felt her chest physically hurt when she remembers the vivid whimpers of Camila. She shuddered. "When I heard your whimpers somewhere in the hallway, my body moved by itself and I was automatically drawn to you. I then found.." She sighed. "I found Austin doing stuff.. To you. I couldn't contain myself. My body went berserk, I couldn't stop it."

Camila looked at her with cloudy eyes again. Her face was stoic. "Okay." she said and ducked her head.

Lauren felt her heart clenched when the emotion on her girlfriend's eyes vanished into thin air. She ducked her head and placed it on top of her hands, her knees on her lap. This is too much.

Lauren didn't realize she was crying until she felt someone softly grasped her face and a thumb swiped on her wet cheeks. She opened her eyes and saw Camila looking at her with affection and sadness. Her mind was running rampant, she couldn't watch Camila suffer anymore. The incident scarred her as much as it did to Camila.

"Camz, I'm so sorry." 

Camila tilted her head in confusion. "Why are you sorry Lo?"

Lauren looked up and sighed in defeat. She has been beating herself up the last few days because of what happened. If she was there, it wouldn't have happened. If only she called her to ask if she's alright. There were many possibilities, many ways as to how it could go. She just wanted to go back in time and be there for Camila so that she wouldn't have to face that asshat Mahone. 

"It's my fault. Everything is my fault." she said. "I shouldn't have left you at home. I should've called you to ask if everything is okay. I should've checked on you. I should've-"