Chapter One

Phil's POV
-
"Happy birthday, Phil."
I blew out the candles. "God damn.. I'm getting old."
"Thanks baby." I pulled Dan in for a kiss.
"Shall we continue this celebration in the bedroom?" He picked me up quickly.
"Of course."
-
He carried me into the bedroom as I held onto him tightly. Throwing me down, he ripped of my clothes violently.
"Phil.. I should warn you.." He whispered sensually. "I've never given.. Head.."
"Whatever you're doing feels fine.." I groaned as his head went down. "Fuck..." I felt his warm breath as he groped me roughly and his tongue trailed up my hips.
"Happy birthday, sexy." He forced me onto my stomach and laid on me.
"Dan.. Dan... Fuck.. Fuck this hurts."
"You want me to stop?" He teased.
"Fuck no!" I said as he kissed my back.
"Good." He leaned in by my ear. "I wasn't going to listen anyways."
-
"You're so perfect." He pulled me close as I laid my head on his bare chest.
He fell asleep shortly after.
That's when I saw it.
"Shit... Dan.."
Not one. Not two. His arms and thighs were covered with red lines. They looked fairly new.
-
"Do I wake him... Or do I talk to him in the morning?" I contemplated for hours. "Fuck it."
"Dan... Dan! DAN WAKE UP!" I shook him.
"Bloody hell, Phillip. What?"
"Why?"
He stared at me. "What?"
-
My eyes went blurry with tears. "Why did you....?" I grabbed his arm and traced the cuts with my fingers. "Why, Daniel?"
He was crying hopelessly now. "Phil... Phil the police.."
"What?"
"I've been trying to distract myself, baby. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.."
I held him tightly in my arms. "Dan, what's going on?"
"The police are looking for the guy who sent me into a coma in October. It's late January now, and they haven't found him. I'm so scared.."
"Dan..."
"It's getting worse... It wasn't an accident... I received death threats." He bawled into my shoulder.
"Dan. Dan listen to me, baby."
He looked at me, his eyes bloodshot from salty tears.
"I won't let anyone get to you. I love you so much, and this man, woman, whatever, will never hurt you again."
"It's a man... Philly. He said I'll never find him and he's much stronger than a little faggot of a boy I am."
"Daniel...." I held him. "Why didn't you tell me this was happening?"
"I didn't want you to worry. I'm trying to be responsible and mature and actually be an adult. All I'm being now is a crying baby."
"Babe..." I sucked on his neck. "Please stop crying. You're safe with me, here. Here in my arms. I will never let you go."
"I know, Phil." He wiped away tears of his cheeks and smiled. "I love you, too sunshine."
-
We fell back asleep and I woke up before Dan. "Who the hell is this twat who is targeting my fiancé? Fiancé... I like that."
I heard a loud knock on the door and footsteps down the stairs. Dan woke up to the sound of the door, and asked me to go check it.
-
I kissed him and he laid there, watching me walk out. I opened the door to find a letter laying outside our apartment. Picking it up, I heard Dan behind me. "Is it... Another?" He choked back his words.
I opened it up and read:
"You're not safe from me, bastard. You're a disgrace to the world and there's a place in Hell waiting for you. The Devil will surely fuck you up, you faggot.
I'll get you, Daniel Howell. The police won't find me.
-Your worst nightmare."
-
I turned to Dan and hugged him. "Show me the other notes.." I whispered.
He led me to a drawer in our bedroom where ransom letters were piling up. He sat on our bed, his hands to his eyes.
I pulled out the notes. There had to be at least two dozen.
"Dan, baby, when did this start?"
He sniffled. "The police started their manhunt after I got home from the hospital."
"That was at least a month ago.."
"Phil, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm sorry I cut... They burn."
"Baby, we need to clean those."
"That'll hurt even more.."
"Baby, you don't want to be back in the hospital.... Away from your sunshine."
-
I went to the bathroom and got a cloth. I wet it and came over to Dan.
"Give me your arms, Dan." He listened and exposed his ripped up skin. I wiped clean the red skin and had him remove his jeans.
"I don't have as many there..." He said quietly, as I cleaned his torn skin.
"Please don't do this again." I kissed him. "You could've hurt yourself profoundly and ended up...."
"I know. I'm so sorry." He hugged me.
"Promise me, Danny."
"I promise I will never cut again." He kissed my neck. "I'm so sorry."
"You know I love you."
"I know." He smiled.