Chapter Two

Phil's POV
-
I was called down to the police department to answer some questions. Since I told Dan I was never going to leave him alone, I brought him with me, when he said he wanted to go.
-
"We'll talk to both of you separately, and then come together." One of the detectives said. Dan got quiet.
"Is that alright with you?"
I looked at Dan. "Are you okay?" I mouthed. He nodded and grabbed my hand. "I'll be okay."
-
One detective took Dan into a different room.
"Alright, Phillip."
"Phil." I corrected him.
"Sorry, Phil. How long have you known Dan?"
"Is that really relevant?"
"Yes. It is. Can you answer?"
"I've known him since 2009."
"And how long have you been.... Involved?"
"Excuse me?" I felt insulted. "We're a couple. We're engaged. You can say it."
"I'm sorry, Phil."
"Just... Ask the actual questions, please."
"Phil, those were actual questions." He got up and sat in a chair by me. "You're on our list of possible suspects."
"Are you absolutely out of your bloody mind?" I was standing now.
"Phil. You have to understand. You're one of the only people around Dan often enough to do this."
"THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'D TRY TO KILL MY TRUE LOVE!" I stormed out.
"Phil. We are not done."
I was pissed now. "Phil... Go back in there. This is for Dan.."
"Fine. Don't accuse me of sending my love to the hospital. I was the first one there. I stayed there with him, waiting for him to wake up."
"Phil. I don't think you did this. But we need help to find who did."
"I'm listening.." I tried to calm down. "For Dan.."
-
"Do you have any idea who would do this? Anyone who was against your relationship?"
"I don't know... Our families were really supportive."
"Was there anyone who wasn't so supportive?"
I tried to think. All I could come up with was when my dad stormed into our apartment and hit me. When my dad called me a disgrace. That was me though, and not Dan.
"My father wasn't supportive at first, but he never lashed out at Dan... Only me. He's opened up to it since then."
"What about Dan's family? Parents? Siblings? Cousins? Grandparents?"
"His mum was supportive. His little brother doesn't live very near, but he came by the hospital and met me. He's cool. His cousins and grandparents love us."
"You didn't mention his father?"
"I don't know his father that well."
"Alright. I think Dan is ready to come in now. I see him outside."
-
Dan and the other detective walked back in. I held Dan's hand tightly as the detectives asked about Dan's father.
"I never knew my dad well. My mum was my parent. My brother stayed with my dad for a while, but he's getting ready for college soon."
"So is there a chance someone from his side could have done this?"
"I don't know." He started to cry. "I still can't believe someone would... Would try to take me away from.. From my Phil."
"Dan.." I hugged him, his tears dampened my shirt collar. "Dan I love you. I know this is hard."
"Phil, can we see the notes Dan received?"
"Of course." I handed over the dozens of threats. "Hopefully you see something that helps.."
They examined the notes and said, "We'll call if we find anything useful. Thank you for coming in."
-
Dan and I left and went back to the apartment to see a horrific sight. The apartment was trashed; the sofa in the lounge had been carved into, the windows shattered, the kitchen was covered in food. Dan nearly screamed when he saw it, but only worried about the bedroom, which was untouched. We closed the door and locked it. Only seconds later, we heard a slam and saw a brick had been thrown through the window.
Dan picked it up. "There's another note.." He said quietly. I took it from him and read:
"So you talked to the police today...and you may just be getting close. Oh Daniel, I'll fucking kill you if you talk to the police again. I know what you said, little faggot."
"Phil?" Dan was crying. "Phil why does this keep happening to me?"
"Danny..." I sat by him as he sat I the fetal position, sobbing. "Baby... We're going to stop this twat. I promise." I kissed him.
"I don't feel safe here...." Dan laid his head on my shoulder, "...in this apartment. This guy hates me. He keeps judging me by my homosexuality, not the person I am. Not by me, Daniel."
"We can see if Martyn has room..." I petted his soft, dark brown fringe.
"I don't want to intrude.."
"It's no big deal. It's my brother. We could see if your family have room."
"Martyn lives here in London. I need to get away." Dan cried.
"Dan... The police asked for us to stay local. You know this."
"I know... I'm just so scared."
"I am, too." I kissed his forehead. "I love you Daniel James."
"I love you, too, Phillip Michael."
We sat in the corner of the bedroom and talked until my phone rang.