Chapter 4: Name Plate Girl

Liam gets a call a few weeks later about a company needing a whole floor remodeled. They tell Liam it's the Hawkins and Willis building downtown. Of course, Liam doesn't hesitate, telling them they'll be there with blueprints and an estimated price.

          The day comes as Liam and his workers head over to the marble and wrought iron building, at least twenty-five floors. The lady at the front desk tells them to sit since it's going to be a few minutes. They sit down looking at all the people in suits and dressed up walking around, not fitting in.

           "Liam," Javier elbows him. "I feel like this isn't the job for us," the guys dirty from working earlier that morning, clothes stained with paint, varnish, and dirt.

           "We're fine," Liam laughs, patting his leg.

          "Isn't that the girl from the club?" the guy next to him says.

          "What the hell..." Liam says softly seeing Sloane. "Hey," he smiles, walking over to her.

          "Oh hey," she greets.

          "How are you? You work here?"

         "Not exactly," Sloane smiles, pushing the button and waiting for the elevator. "What are you doing here?"

          "Some remodeling on the floor. I don't know," Liam shrugs. "My crew and I have been waiting for somebody to take us back for like twenty minutes."

          "Oh," she says softly, hearing the elevator ding. "Well, good luck with that," she smiles.

          "Liam Pearson I presume," the man asks, stepping off the elevator.

          "Uh yeah," he nods his head. "Yes sir," the man eyeing Liam up.

          "Right, this way please," the man commands, walking towards the back of the building on the main floor.

          "Damn," Javier exclaims. The crew walks through the fancy building. They are brought into a conference room with a large table in the middle. The man leading them in there walks out.

          "God they take forever," Liam says.

         After another fifteen minutes or so, two guys in fancy suits come in. "Sorry to keep you waiting gentlemen," the man says, holding out his hand. "I'm Mitch Hawkins."

          "Liam Pearson," Liam shakes his hand firmly. "I own Pearson's Construction."

          "Good, good. So, let's see what you've come up with."

          Nodding his head, Liam gets out the blueprints and spreading them on the table—explaining his plans and what he wants to do and what would draw customers to keep coming back.

          "Son, we're a law firm. You've seen this building. Clients aren't the problem. It's the fact that this building is 100 years old."

           "I know sir. I've done my research on this building."

          "Good to hear," the man says, pointing out what he doesn't like and what he does, looking for more restructuring than anything.

          "We'll get it done sir. What's the time frame you're looking for this to get done?"

          "As soon as possible. Money is not an object."

          "Yes sir. We can start working today if you'd like us too?"

          "Sure. Sure," the man gets up and leaves like the guys don't even matter.

          "Boss, is this really the kind of work we want? He's an asshole," Javier says.

          "We are gonna get paid a shit ton of money man. Hush."

          "My whole apartment would fit in this office," Javier laughs.

          "Come on let's get started," Liam laughs as they begin. He looks over seeing Sloane changing nameplates on some of the rooms. He gets up, walking over. "So you're nameplate changing girl?"

          "What? No, I just had a few minutes," Sloane smiles.

          "So you never answered my question?"

          "About what?"

           "You work here? Pretty prestigious place."

          "I don't work here," Sloane smiles.

          "Could have fooled me because uh, changing the nameplates on doors tells me otherwise," Liam laughs.  

          "Well that wasn't what I intended to do," she says looking over Liam's shoulder. "I have to get going."

          "It was good to see you."

           "You too."