Chapter 21: Awkward

A couple of hours later, enjoying his beers that are already paid for and watching a game, Liam's phone begins to ring on the table. He grabs the device and answers it, walking out of the bar.

          Natasha. The psycho pregnant girl.

         "Yeah?" he answers.

         "I thought you were coming over," she demands.

          "Why in the hell would I come over?"

            "Because I thought we were going to try and make this work."

           "I never said that. I told you I would be there for you when it comes to the baby and raising him or her, but as far as us, that's not happening."

          "You're a horrible person. I'm getting my money from you, and that's it. You are never going to see this kid!"

          The line goes dead.

          "Hey," he hears Sloane, her hand sliding on his lower back.

          "Hey," he stiffens, turning around.

          "Ready to get some food?"

          "Um, yeah let's go," Liam smiles. "Make some money?" he asks as they get in his car.

          "A bit. It's usually much busier," Sloane says, undoing her ponytail, letting her curls go everywhere.

           "Well good. You're buying dinner then," Liam winks.

          "I can do that."

          "No I'm kidding Sloane," Liam laughs, pulling into the diner.

          "Damn, it got cold tonight," Sloane laughs.

          "There's a jacket in my backseat if you want to borrow it," Liam offers. The two get out of the car. 

          Of course, she retrieves it from the backseat, the pair walking into the diner.

          "They have some excellent chicken sandwiches here," Liam recommends as they sit down, looking at the menu.

          "Yeah?" she questions, putting her feet on the cushion on one side of him. "You come here often?"

          "Yeah to get some quiet. It's normally not very busy, but it's still a really good place to eat."

          "Liam sweetheart," an older waitress walks over, "good to see you again."

          "Hey Kay," Liam smiles, hugging her.

          "Where ya been kid?"

          "Working a lot lately."

          "And who is this lovely young thing?" Kay asks looking at Sloane. "Are you even old enough to be hanging out with this guy?" she winks, nodding at Liam.

          "That's Sloane, and yes she's old enough," Liam laughs.

          "Mhm, sure kid," she laughs, walking away and bringing a milkshake and water over a few minutes later.

          "First timer's always get one," she winks, setting the milkshake down in front of Sloane. "You'll need it with him."

          "Ouch," Liam smiles, "that hurt my soul Kay. Hurt it just a little bit," sliding his hand over his heart.

           Kay winks at him, patting his shoulder and leaving the two alone.

           "I love her," Liam laughs.