Chapter 9: Pay Cut

After a week and a half of hard work, all the guys including Liam working fourteen to fifteen hour days to get the job done. The final day has come. The boys barely finishing with about forty-five minutes to spare. Liam heads to the office door, ready to face the prick known as Mr. Hawkins. He knocks on the door. When it opens, he sees Sloane in a beaded ball gown, tight around her chest and torso. It is covered in sequins, beads, and layers of fabric at her waist.

          "Everything's done," Liam says, stepping in past Sloane, not even glancing at her.

          "Good. You'll have my check on Monday morning."

          "Just split the $150,000 between my five guys. I don't want anything," Liam says, walking out.

          "Fine," Sloane's father says sternly.

         Sloane watches as Liam doesn't make eye contact with her, the guys cleaning up.

           "You should be thrilled man," Javier exclaims. "This is our biggest payout for one job," he grins. "Beers on me tonight."

          "I didn't get anything," Liam shakes his head, smiling. He tosses equipment in the back of his truck. "Or I won't get anything."

          "What are you talking about?"

          "He saw me winking at Sloane."

          "That's it?" he laughs.

           "He told me to stay away from her and that we should have finished last week. I told him it took longer because he changed the design at the last minute and we had to get the materials. He cut the payment by $30,000. I'm not making a profit, therefore I'm splitting it between you guys. I don't want anything. Think of it as the bonus I didn't give you guys last year when you deserved it," Liam says softly. "He also threatened me that if I even look at his daughter, I'd never work in this city again..."

         "Split it with all of us? It isn't fair."

          "It is fair. You guys deserve it."

          "Does he know you had sex with her?"

           "No he doesn't," Liam laughs. "And I would like to keep it that way."

          "We'd never get paid if he knew that," Javier smirks. "So what? You nail and bail on her? You talked about her for two weeks straight, and that's all you wanted from her."

          "I don't know man. I was brought up totally different than she was," Liam laughs.

           "Yeah. You can have sex with her and that suited asshole can't," Javier grins.

          "You're gross Javi."

          "What? It's true. So, what? You had this amazing night with her two months ago, and you're going to leave it at that?"

          "She would run if she knew anything about me."

          "Like you're a broke ass construction worker who goes to the bar five times a week to bang a different chick? What girl wouldn't love that?" Javier laughs.

          "Dude, there's stuff you don't even know about me," Liam laughs, pulling into Javier's driveway.

          "Stuff I'd never want to know," he chuckles and grabs his bag, getting out of the truck.