Chapter 59: Unexpected Turn

Later that evening, Mackenzie is asleep in her crib and holding the doll. Javier, Liam, and Mandy hanging out. Liam receives a text from Hope, indicating that Sloane is home.

          He looks over at Javier and Mandy on the couch. "Hey, do you guys mind doing me a favor?"

          "Yeah, what's up?"

           "Do you guys mind watching Mackenzie for an hour or so?" Liam asks.

           Javier smirks, knowing exactly what for. "Yeah, sure man."

           "Thank you," standing up and grabbing his car keys. He heads out.

            He pulls up to Sloane and Hope's building about ten minutes later. Hope let's him in. "She's in her room."

          "Is she okay?"

          "She seems fine."

          Liam walks to her room, knocking on the door.

          "Yeah?" Sloane answers, sounding like herself.

          "Hey, it's Liam. Can I come in?" he asks, the door opening a few seconds later. "Hi."

         "Hi," she repeats.

          "Can I come in?"

          She opens the door wider, letting him in. "What are you doing here?" Sloane asks.

          "Sloane, you haven't talked to me in months," Liam says. Sloane looking at him, as if waiting for an explanation. "So you're not gonna say anything?"

          "What do you want me to say?"

          "Eric came to my office a couple of months ago."

          "What? Why?"

          "He told me that you were pregnant and that you told him and he flipped out."

           "Oh yeah? He did huh?" Sloane says, packing a few bags.

          "What are you doing?" Liam asks, noting the bags.

          "Getting rid of some stuff," she says, throwing a bunch of clothes into a few duffle bags.

          "Sloane look at me please."

          Sloane sighs, standing up and looking at Liam.

           "Are you pregnant?" Liam asks, wanting to know the answer. 

           Sloane doesn't say anything but looks at him.

          "Is that why you're wearing really baggy clothes?" Liam asks, nodding at Sloane's sweatpants and sweatshirt.

          "They aren't baggy at all."

           "Sloane I've missed you, and I've been worried sick about you. Will you please talk to me? What did I do wrong that you cut communication with me altogether?"

          "You didn't do anything."

          "Then why have you stopped talking to me? I think with everything I've done for you, I deserve an explanation."

          "Everything you've done for me?" Sloane looks at him. "That's funny Liam."

          "Sloane..."

          "What Liam?"

          "Why did you quit talking to me?"

         "Because you have Mackenzie and work and you're fine and don't need me around."

          "Yes I do," Liam says, sliding his hand down her arm, pulling her back towards him.

          "No, you don't," pulling away.

           "Sloane, I care about you. I don't want you to leave. I want you to be with me, to be with Mackenzie. She loves you."

           "Liam stop," looking at him. "It never would have worked out."

          "And why do you say that? Because you're not used to someone genuinely caring about you? Putting you first?"

           "Stop. Please."

           Liam takes one more leap of faith before pulling Sloane against him and kissing her softly. He feels Sloane leaning against him and kisses him back. She then pulls away, resting her forehead against his chin, her fingertips trailing down his chest.

          "You should go," Sloane sighs.

          "Don't push me away Sloane."

          "I'm not pushing you away. I'm ending it," she steps back.

          "And why are you ending it? Give a good reason."

          Sloane looks at him, walking over to her dresser and grabbing her engagement ring, putting it on, and then putting a wedding band on it.

          "You're shitting me right?" Liam asks surprised.

          "Why?"

           Sliding his hand over his mouth and then through his hair, he looks at her in disbelief. "When did you marry him?"

           "A couple of weeks ago," Sloane answers quietly.

          "Well good luck. I hope he's worth it," Liam says, starting to walk to the bedroom door. "Oh and congrats by the way," nodding to her stomach as he then walks out the door.