Chapter 15: Talk With Danielle

Liam makes bail. The charges are dropped. He's over at his sister's house for dinner. After dinner, Danielle comes back downstairs from putting the kids to bed.

          "Really Liam? A bar fight?"

          "Danielle, it wasn't even my fault," Liam says, softly taking a sip of his water.

          "No, no," holding up her hand. "I don't want to hear it. I don't care."

          "Well the guy exaggerated, I wasn't trying to kill him," Liam says, looking down at his phone.

          "I don't care," she grabs his phone. "You know better than to get involved in shit like that."

         "Give me my phone."

          "What? Are you waiting for one of your weekly sluts to call you back?" Danielle asks shaking her head. She slides the phone across to him. "When are you going to grow up?"

          "Wow," he laughs, shaking his head.

          "You have two kids up there who want to spend every moment with you. I had to tell them you were too busy for them last week instead of telling them you were in jail."

          "Don't bite the hand that feeds you, Danielle. You may be older than me, but you're not my damn mom. Remember? We don't have one," Liam says, walking to the living room.

           "Of course I remember. Why are you such an asshole?"

          He sits down, tears beginning to form in his eyes. He takes a deep breath. "I'm just drowning. Do you know why I work all the time and work my ass off every single day?"

          Danielle sits down beside him on the couch, never seeing him like that.

           "For you. For my niece and nephew. I'm your sole provider, and you know that. Because after all this shit that happened to you and going through all that I wanted to be there for you and I am. I haven't been the same since going to prison. I killed my dad Danielle, our dad. Your kid's grandfather. We raised each other because mom was either too drunk or too high to care," Liam says. "I make sure you have everything you need and my niece and nephew."

          "I love you, Liam," she tears up. "I just want you to be happy."

          He lays his cheek on top of her head and closing his eyes, rubbing her arm. He pulls away, kissing the top of her head.

          "You're the best brother a girl can have," hugging him tightly.

           "I got to get going," as he stands up. "Tell the munchkins I said goodnight," kissing his sister's forehead.

          "I will," she says as her little brother leaves.