25.Better again

Devin's P.O.V

"Lucas and I broke up yesterday," she said while biting her bottom lip.

   I didn't know how to respond as I was expecting this to happen. I gently reached my hand to touch hers. "How did it happen?"

"I-I caught him making out with a girl a few streets down from my house. I was going to the supermarket to buy some stuff when I saw him on the way there. I felt hurt so I automatically went to buy what I needed and rushed back home then called him the next day telling him we had to meet up." She took a pause, wiping her eyes that were now red. "He didn't even bother denying it and we just broke up."

"I knew he wasn't the right person, if you listened you wouldn't be in pain like this right now."

"I know," she said shaking her head. "I'm really sorry that I didn't believe you. I guess I was just really caught up with someone actually asking me out and liking me that I didn't want to hear all that stuff."

"At least you know what you did wrong and you won't do it again."

   She nodded. "I guess so, so how did you get shot?"

  "I-I umm," I hesitated not knowing what to tell her. I cleared my throat before speaking. "I was just walking through the park because Jared and I had a small argument just at that time." I didn't like the fact that I was lying to my best friend but I couldn't tell her now. 

"That's sucks! I'd so grab that person and choke them with my own hands."

"I would too," I said nodding, knowing exactly who I was talking about.

   We sat there talking for a few hours about random stuff well mostly about Lucas and Jared and then remembered the fact that we were back to work in two days. Maybe it would get my mind off of things and let me be more active. I didn't know if it was good or bad. Eventually, Jared came back inside as the doctors had brought me lunch while he had brought take out food for him and Kristen to eat. We spent the day in these 4 walls just being together. Aunt Marie came after work and joined in on us. Kristen left a little after my aunt came. We had dinner and my aunt left at around 9pm so I could get some rest. It was me and Jared again. We didn't really talk much I was mainly playing a game on my phone until I felt a little tired as he watched from the side. 

   It was around 9:30 when my nurse came inside the room. Her name was Samantha and she came to check up on me through the day. 

"Hi there Devin, how are you feeling?" she asked with a happy tone. I nodded.

"Better than I was yesterday for sure."

"Well that's great, hopefully you will be out by tomorrow and will regain your strengths at home." She took a look at my heart monitor and then gestured for me to sit up. I did so and waited as she checked the area where I was shot. "Well everything seems to be fine. I'll see you in the morning for one final check up. Good night," she smiled and disappeared out of the room.

   I rested my back against the pillow and sighed. It sure wasn't comfortable being here all day.

"Not tired yet?" Jared asked.

"Not really, I don't want to sleep for some reason."

"Maybe it's from the thought that you'll be written out tomorrow."

"Possibly." I looked at him once and saw him looking towards the window. I pulled his chin, causing him to turn his full face towards me. I wasn't so weak as I was in the morning. "Jared, I want to kiss you badly," I whined while pouting.

   He started to chuckle. "You think I don't? But the doctors said it's not good for your breathing," he said while leaning closer to me.

"Screw what the doctors say."

"Survive another day," he said and kissed my nose instead.

"Not fair," I stated and he chuckled again.

"Good night Devin,"

"I'm not gonna sleep."

"Sure you won't," he said and flicked the light off. I felt him rest his head next to my shoulder and sighed putting my head against his. I was only my true self when I was with him. It's as if I didn't need to be someone else, I could do whatever I wanted and said whatever I wanted without feeling embarrassed. Of course I was a lot more goofy with Kristen but that was different.

  I soon stared off into space with random thoughts before falling into a deep sleep. 

   Morning came quicker than I thought it would as I opened my eyes right away. I was eager to go back home and return to my daily life again. I looked to my side to see Jared resting his head against the bed with his eyes open.

"Awake so early?" he asked and I glanced at the clock that read 7am.

"I wasn't in the mood for sleeping," I said with a grin as I removed the blanket off of me. Jared noticed and helped me to stand up.

"Are you sure you want to get ready now?" 

   I nodded and he held onto my arm, making sure I wouldn't fall down even though I was feeling just fine. 

"Okay now leave," I said pointing to the door.

"Okay okay." He chuckled putting his hands up in the air as he left the room. I quickly dug through the bag of clothes that Aunt Marie had brought for me: Skinny jeans, pink T-shirt, blue underwear, red beanie. I sighed.

"No absolute idea about fashion," I mumbled to myself as I shook my head and put my clothes on, leaving the beanie out. I found the boots that I'd worn that day before getting kidnapped by Lexi and put them on as they were the only pair of shoes I had here currently. I soon looked in the small mirror that was also in the bag and observed myself.

Yuck, I look like a hot mess. I thought at once and threw it back into the bag. I wished that I had my makeup box with me but I had to bear with it until getting home. With that I took the hairband that was on my wrist and pulled my hair up into a messy bun, not finding any other solution for it. I soon called Jared back into the room and we made sure we took everything with us before leaving. Samantha asked me how I was feeling once again while we were signing some papers and they let me out. 

   Everything felt so different outside it's as if life has changed in the two days that I haven't been there...