26.Back to work

Devin's P.O.V

"Are you sure you are well enough to good to work today?" Jared asked over the phone.

"I'm gonna be just fine, stop worrying so much. It's only for a few hours and Kristen is gonna be with me."

"I just thought that you should have stayed home for a few more days."

"I'll be fine I promise," I said trying to untie my braids with one hand. 

"Alright, I'll call you later."

"Okay," I said and hung up, throwing the phone on my bed to free both of my hands now. Once all of the braids were untied I looked once in the mirror. My hair dropped in messy curls down my shoulders. I wasn't quite in the mood for dressing up today so I settled for something a bit simple like this. I would wear high heels like I usually wore to work but since there was the possibility that I might fall because my body was barely getting better, I decided to go with something more comfortable.  I picked my bag up from the ground along with my phone as I went downstairs. I locked the front door of the house and went towards my car. I felt kind of nervous for some reason. I started looking at my left and right, making sure there was no one there. I didn't feel like being alone right now because Lexi was still on the loose somewhere and could make another attempt to kill me. 

 Luckily, I got into the car just fine and started it up. I was driving through the streets with the windows down, something I haven't done in a while. I soon pulled up in the parking lot of the shop and slowly got out. There seemed to be a lot of people near and inside the shop. I walked inside a bit confused when I saw Kristen by the racks.

"No sorry we don't have any more of the blue in stock." She then turned to another direction. "Yes that one is on sale too." Once she saw me she sighed and ran up to me.

"Hey!" she said and I just continued to look surprised.

"Hey, what's all this about?" 

"Claire decided to have a 50% off sale on summer items because it's almost over and we have all these customers."

"Excuse me, I'd like to buy this," A woman said pointing to a blue blouse in her hand.

"Might as well get to work, we'll chat later."

   I nodded in agreement and went up to the cashier where there was soon a rush of people attacking. I barely managed to properly do my work as people were coming in and out by the second. What a nice way to be greeted back to work right? 

To our surprise 4pm came faster than we thought it would. The day was busy and we hardly had a few seconds to sit down and properly talk to each other. 

"Phew, what the heck was all that about?" Kristen said, locking the door of the store. We might as well wait a few seconds in peace. The workers covering the shift after us were to arrive soon so we started packing up our things. 

"Hey you wanna go get a smoothie? I just found out this new place near the park by the mall."

"Sounds good, I think that's the best way to calm our nerves from today," I said as I pulled my phone out from my bag.

Me: Done with work, going out with Kristen for a smoothie ;) I quickly texted.

Jared: Ok, I got some stuff to do. I might come over for a visit later.

Me: Plz don't tell me by "stuff" you mean another killing business?"

Jared: No don't worry it isn't this time ;)

Me: Good. I replied and turned my phone off. I was sure that Kristen wasn't in the room while I was writing that. 

"Okay so I told Claire we're leaving, let's jet."

  Without another word I grabbed my bag and we left the store. We got inside my car and I drove us until the park while we were singing along to some pop song on the radio. I parked the car by the sidewalk and we got out. I soon saw a small building that had a window with a man standing behind it.

  We soon walked closer. "Hello there girls, what can I get you today?" A guy asked, he seemed to be somewhere around 22 and was actually looking kinda cute. 

Mental slap. You have a boyfriend Devin. I reminded myself.

"Hiya, I'll have a kiwi," Kristen said then turned to face me.

"Um, yeah I'll just have a strawberry one."

"Coming up," he said with a grin and soon took out two large, plastic cups and poured them inside before handing them to us.

   I searched through my pocket and took out my cash, handing it to him. Kristen and I decided to drink and walk through the park for a little while. She was talking about something but I started zoning out after a few minutes since it was about Lucas again and I no intention to listen about him.

   Soon on our way back to the car we had thrown the empty cups away. Just when we were about to reach the car I saw two familiar people standing under a tree talking. I concentrated for a moment and saw it was Lexi and Jared.

"Um, Krist. come this way," I said pulling her by the hand. She looked confused at first but once she followed my gaze she didn't say another word, coming along with me. We soon approached them and their eyes turned to face us. 

   Jared stayed calm while that slut Lexi smirked in my direction.

   Is this what he meant by having stuff to do? That chic better have not planned on making any more moves.