Book 2: Chapter 4

At around 8, dinner time was called. I didn't want to go in there with the group of people. There were men and women from every branch: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines. I knew almost all of them, but had only a few close friends which were Lee, a marine; Jason, who was like a big brother to me, also a marine; (A/N this is the same Jason from Book 1) Calleigh, an Airwoman (Air Force); James, an Army airborne paratrooper; and Grace, my best friend, who was a Navy pilot like me. I put on my tan t-shirt, camouflage fatigue pants, and finally my combat boots. I put my hair up in a bun and headed down to the mess hall. I didn't care that I was late. That just meant that I would have to eat whatever everyone else hadn't gotten. When I walked in, the room went silent. Everyone looked at me. I kept my head down and walked to the back to get my food. I sat down between Grace and Calliegh with Jason across from me. I was silent.

Jason: You can do it.

I smiled.

Me: I hope.

Lee: Oh I heard you're getting a surprise, by the way.

Steve's POV:
Finally, we landed. I was shown to the mess hall where they told me Jesse was.

Jesse's POV:

Grace giggled as if she knew what it was.

Calleigh: Don't worry. You're gonna be so glad.

James: Speaking of your surprise, here it is.

Me: Where?

They all 5 pointed at the door at the front of the mess hall. My heart skipped a beat and tears sting in my throat. It was Steve! I ran to him without a second thought. Once he realized I was running toward him he opened his arms and wrapped me in a hug. Tears streamed down both of our faces. It was the first time I'd ever seen him cry.