15

I walked around the shelter, as I spent my day volunteering, and I poured water and food into each of the dogs' bowls. A few of them ran up to me as I entered their cage and I pet them, greeting them with a happy smile. 

Once I finished I walked out of the room with the dogs in it and to the main area and filled out the forms, saying that all the dogs have been fed. "Good morning Penelope" I heard a voice say. I turned around to see a fellow volunteer named Katherine who volunteers for the cat section of the shelter. 

"Good afternoon." I corrected her, chuckling. 

"Ha-ha very clever." She spoke. I laughed then said, "What's up?" 

"Oh nothing, all the cats are being stubborn and won't do what I say so I came over here." She spoke.

"That's why I'm a dog person." I said, laughing. I heard the door open and i turned around to see a face that I haven't seen in forever. Aaron... He had a blonde wrapped around his arm, probably the girl he left me for. "Hey, we were looking for a dog to adopt." He spoke. His soft voice made my heart shatter. He looked at me as if he'd never seen me before. 

I felt a nudge on my back. "Penelope" Katherine whispered. I must've zoned out. "Sorry, here lemme show you the dogs," I said, bringing them to the room. They thanked me and I left the room. 

"What was that back there?" Katherine asked. 

"T-that's him" I spoke. 

"What?" She asked me. 

"T-that was Aaron." I said. 

"the asshole that cheated on you?" she asked me, her eyebrows shooting towards the sky. I nodded. "Oh my god!" she said. I slapped her arm and told her to quiet down. I heard two pairs of footsteps come closer to us. I turned around and saw Aaron and his.... girlfriend. "We were wondering if we could take Snowball out for a walk." He said. 

"Of corse." I said, grabbing a leash and walked to Snowball's room and put it on his collar, handing it to Aaron. His hand touched mine and I felt a small spark, as I handed off the leash to a one year old shih tzu. I walked back to the room and sighed. "He looks like an ass" Katherine spoke.

"Thanks, but cmon he looks like an angel." I said, groaning. "But it's like he doesn't even know me." I spoke. 

"Maybe he's trying to play it cool ya know?" Katherine said. I shrugged. I organized the papers on top of the counter and put them in the appropriate files. I heard the door open and I heard Aaron's girlfriend's voice, "Babe, I'm gonna go head to the bathroom, I'll be right back." say and I heard her kiss his cheek and leave the room. I turned around and Aaron had snowball in his arms. "How was your walk?" I asked. 

"It was good, Shannon and I have decided to adopt her." He spoke, petting snowball. 

"That's great" I forced a smile and then said, "I'll grab you the adoption papers." i spoke. "and get you our vet to get you a paper with all of her shots and when she needs them." i said, grabbing the papers.

"Thank you....." he spoke "P" He said, calling me the nickname he would always call me when we dated. I turned around and looked at him. "You r-remember me?" I said. 

"Of course I remember you and that adorable smile." he said. I looked down then he spoke again, "Why would I ever forget you?" he said. 

"I don't know, now you've got a blonde on your arm wherever you go," i spoke harshly, "sorry." i apologized right after. "Here's the adoption papers." I said, handing him the stack of papers. 

"Thanks." he spoke. 

"I'll take Snowball and get her ready for you to adopt her." I said as he handed me Snowball, then sitting down at a table to sign the papers. I walked towards the door, opening it and before I could leave I heard Aaron's voice again, "I'm sorry." he spoke. I looked back at him. "Pardon?" I spoke.

"I'm sorry for hurting you, I regret it every day." he said, standing up and walked towards me. "And honestly I could've went to any other shelter but I just wanted to see you again, and tell you I'm sorry." He said. "It hurts my heart every day to just think of the way I treated you." 

"You should've thought about that before you left me all alone and hurt."