Chapter 1

I walked throughout the house, following the smell of death, my mother's scent was no longer there. I thought to myself she maybe protected herself, I take a sniff of the air. I smell a familiar scent, a faint scent to the outside of our small cottage.

I follow the scent to the leaf pile, I made the previous day, I dug through the leaves and found my mother's limp body. I turn around with tears down my face, to be face to face with a dark brown wolf, with a tan underbelly.

I steady my breathing, then it finally sinks it's teeth into my face, as I scream for the protection of my mother.

I awake from the dream I've been having for the past nights. "Mum?" I walk out of my bedroom, looking into her room. Her bed is still fixed, everything covered in a light dust. I let out a small whimper, She's in a better place now my wolf cries slightly.

I walk back to my bedroom, grabbing my bag, packing all of my beloved belongings. I went into my mother's room, and picked up her necklace, silver chain, with a garnet stone. I walk out of her room, to our kitchen, surprisingly, everything is still clean.

I jump atop of the countertop, to reach the top shelf, I move my hand feeling around for the cookie platter. I find it, and pull it towards me. All of a sudden, I hear a honk and jerk it forward. Shattering the glass platter onto the floor, I slowly climb down and take the handful of cash.

I leave my bag on the couch, and walk back to my bedroom. I reach my room door, and quickly pull out a flowey red tanktop, with black skinny jeans, combat boots, and a black leather jacket. I brush out my hair, attempt to straighten my hair, but it ends up becoming curly, curse you natural curls, I thought.

I hear two different voices, as I finish brushing my teeth, We need to leave... NOW, my wolf growled, I packed my toothbrush, and ran for my bag. I quickly grabbed it, running to the back door. I grabbed my box of matches from the bag, and I sparked a flame and threw it in a bundle of dried wood pieces.

"Goodbye, Mum" I whisper and run into the nearby woods, I watch from behind a tree. "Nika" I hear the yells, of two men, screams of agony from the burning home. I turn to run again, I find the creek, I spent my days by. I jump into the water, getting rid of my scent.

I keep running past, my wolf threatening to shift, I controlled her temptation.  Freedom she yelled, I near a sign welcoming me to a border, of Canada and the United States. I escape through, careful to not be seen by any other wolves or patrol officers.

As a rogue, my mother taught me to lay low, which is definitely what got us almost killed. As soon as I got to United States, I felt very uneasy.