3

The faux fur rug felt soft against my bare feet as I paced back and forth in my room. My mind kept traveling places, like Harold's eyes or last night with Conor. The fact every time Harold's face popped in my mind, the tingles appeared and the moment I recalled Conor not proposing, a sudden feeling in the pit of my stomach appeared. Like the kind you get when you are in a roller coaster or when you hear something that just broke your heart. I thanked God the knock on the door interrupted my unwanted thoughts about both of them.

"Taylor darling, do you want to come down stairs with me for some breakfast?" My mother asked, storming into the room in her long silk robe. I nodded. She extended her arm, I grabbed her hand and just like that we went downstairs. "I told Alondra to go to the market for some fresh berries, since we ran out of them apparently." She informed. We sat down on our usual seats. Waffles, berries orange juice, coffee, milk, cookies, bacon and bread were displayed right in the middle of the table, as usual. Alondra walked in, as she served my mother food on her plate.

"I can take care of mine, thank you Alondra." I commented, she tilted her head down as she finished pouring some orange juice into my mother's glass. I served myself berries, bread, bacon and a waffle and as usual, everything seemed delightful. 

"Are you okay, honey?" My mother asked, taking a sip of her orange juice.

"Yes, just a bit confused, but it's nothing for you to worry about." I stated.

"Are you sure? Did something happened last night?" I remained silent for a few seconds, thinking about the rights words to say. My mother was the kind of person that twisted words if they weren't clear enough for her, I always took a few steps back when it came to noticing her about important stuff going in my life.

"Conor didn't propose," I informed. "And he prohibited me to go to the mechanic since he has this crazy thought that Harold has a crush on me." I scoffed.

"A man always knows what's up with other men." My mother was taking Conor's side. I rolled my eyes at her, before I could take a bite of my waffle.

"Mom, it's not like I want a romance with the mechanic. All I want is a marriage with the love of my life." I informed. That was the honest truth, nothing else to add to it. 

"I know," She smiled, gently. "I'll talk to Conor about the proposal, I don't know what's taking that long."

"Don't," I let a sigh come out. "He'll ask when he's ready."

"Okay, sweetheart." She smiled and I gave one back. I took a sip of my orange juice as I could easily feel the rest of the breakfast was going to be filled with empty stares and lack of words. After minutes of seconds long eye contact, my mother stood up from the table. 

"Got some errands to run, mother?" I asked, curious. 

"Indeed, oh and after that I'm meeting with the girls at Honoré. See you at dinner love." She blew a kiss and walked out the dining room. I was left alone at the table, playing with my fork. Alondra entered the room with a smile, minutes after my mother left.

"Are you okay Miss?" She asked, as she picked up the dishes from the table. 

"Yeah, I just I don't know," I pressed my lips together. "Something's odd, I mean," I chuckled, nervously. "It's probably just me and," I shook my head, trying to ignore those ideas my mind was making up. "Never mind," I stood up from the table. "Thank you Alondra, everything was delicious." I left the room and headed upstairs. I heard my mom's heels clicking on the floor way too much, sounded like she was rushing to get ready. I walked closer to her room, she was actually pacing back and forth. I noticed she was working her way through putting on earrings and sliding her feet inside her nude colored pumps. When she turned around, I walked away and straight into my room, since I didn't want her to see me lurking. I got to my room and heard her going downstairs. I waited by the window to see if she was going to drive herself or not, and I noticed she got in a rush inside the car. That was strange. Seconds after feeling completely weird, I took a book from the shelf and headed to my bed. I opened it to the page I last read and focused on the words. Every time I read a book, my mind always traveled to the exact same place being described. That's basically the reason why I read, I always feel a little calmer. And to be honest, I needed to distract myself from a lot of things going on right now. At the moment, my mind was cluttered with thoughts, good and bad.

"Miss Taylor." I heard those words along with a knock on the door. I noticed my book was on the ground and a trace of saliva felt already dry on my cheek. I glanced at the clock on the night stand and it indicated I slept for two hours, which felt a little confusing to me. 

"Yes?" I said, as I stood up from the bed to pick my book. I placed it on the night stand and walked over to the door. 

"I'm sorry I interrupted your sleep Miss, but there's a boy waiting to speak with you downstairs," I smiled at her, nodding. "And just a warning, he seems mad. I don't know who he is, maybe a friend of yours from school or-"

"It's okay, Alondra, I'll be down in a second." I interrupted. She nodded and walked away. I put on my baby blue silk robe and tied a knot around my waist. I headed downstairs as I could feel my ponytail dancing side to side. As I was halfway, I stood there in surprise. It was Harold and indeed, he looked pissed off.

"I need to speak to you," I finished walking down the staircase. He hurried closer to me and I couldn't focus on anything else other than his emerald eyes. "Taylor, I just don't get it." 

"Wait, what?" I was completely zoned out. I shook my head, clearing my throat. "What did you just say?" I asked, trying to focus on the conversation we were about to have.

"Can we please go outside and talk, it's a sensitive topic. I don't anyone around here to listen." He grabbed me by the arm and rushed outside. His grip felt heavy on me, but something about this situation didn't feel heavy at all. 

"What's going on? You're hurting me." He finally let go of me. I gently rubbed my arm, as I could still feel his tight grip on me.

"Your mother went to look for me, and at first I thought it was because she had troubles with her car, but it wasn't that kind of trouble," I squinted at him, confused. And then it hit me. "She thinks I have a hopeless crush on her golden daughter," He looked down at the ground, scoffing. "I don't understand. D-did you say such thing to her, or a-anyone for that matter? Did last night confused you a bit? Because I am, I am confused and lost, I don't know what's going on." The entire time he explained, he used hand gestures. Those intensified his emotions and I just looked at him, surprised. 

"Wow," I smiled. "You do have a crush on me."

"For fucks sake, I don't. Don't you think I know your kind?" 

"Then why are you so mad that my mother spoke to you about your little crush on me?" I smiled. I was enjoying this conversation with everything I was. 

"She threatened me, and yes you are beautiful, but what I see in you is just surface. Not deeper. Let's not get confused around here." He revealed, turning my lips into a Cheshire cat smile.

"You just accepted you have a crush on me." He looked at me with a wide eyed gaze and I just chuckled. 

"Listen, you are ignoring the point here. I don't desire you in any way. I don't want your boyfriend to think I do, because I saw how he acted last night, I mean, I'm not blind, I know his kind too," He said, using hand gestures to intensify his thoughts, once again. "And now your mother thinks it too. They're just creating a mess out of nowhere. I don't desire you, okay?" He was looking at me straight in the eye, I couldn't help but smirk. 

"Would you like to get lunch with me tomorrow?" He looked at me, just as if he was going to regret what he was about to say. 

"Okay." He smiled. I did too.