Chapter 20

"How many more boxes do we need?" I yell to Shannon from the doorway.

"Uh? Maybe like ten more? I don't know. Just get ten and if we need more then I'll go get them."

It's Friday and we have three days before we are moving to North Carolina. Cam sent us pictures of the house down the street from her and we immediately fell in love with it. Now we are trying to pack everything up. Thank goodness it was already furnished so we are trying to sell and get rid of majority of our furniture.

"I'm going to take Addy with me so you can get some work done. Tomorrow we will go cancel your phone plan and put you under mine because we don't want Rachel having any contact with you."

"Okay baby!" She walks over and gives me a peck on the lips. She bends down and kisses Addy on the forehead. "Y'all be careful and bring back lunch!"

I laugh

"Okay, what you want?" I tickle Addy while Shannon thinks. She's only been with us a week but I swear she's growing so fast.

"Chipotle please?" I kiss Shannon on the cheek. "Anything for you baby. See you in a little bit and call If you need anything."

"Get extra, Kasey is coming over to help!" She yells as I walk out the door. I laugh again. Kasey has been over here almost everyday this week, hanging out and spending time. She claims she's alright but we know she's upset about Shannon leaving.

I buckle Addison into her car seat and hop in the front seat. We take off towards the UPS store to get some boxes. After that we make our way to chipotle to get some lunch. Shannon has been obsessed with it all week.

As I'm leaving out of chipotle putting Addy in her car seat my phone starts ringing. I pull it out of my pocket and see that it's Shannon.

"What's up baby?" I say cheerfully into the phone.

"How far are you?" She says softly.

"I'm getting ready to leave chipotle, then I'll be home. You that hungry?" I say laughing as I close the back door.

"Please hurry home." Shannon speaks so low I almost couldn't hear her.

"What's wrong? Why are whispering?" I'm now getting worried. I immediately think of Rachel. We haven't had any real run in with her since coming back from the mountains other than the text message she sent. I crank up the car and speed off towards home, still on the phone with Shannon.

"I was boxing things up when all of a sudden somebody started banging on the door. Then I heard Rachel's voice yelling and cussing saying she knew I was in there."

"WHAT?! Did you call police??!" I start panicking. I shouldn't have left Shannon alone. I feel myself press on the gas pedal harder.

"Yeah, I did right before I called you. They aren't here yet so I'm freaking out. I'm hiding in the bedroom with the door shut."

"Is she still at the door??"

I wait and don't hear anything for what felt like a few minutes.

"Shannon? Shannon! Answer me!"

"Sorry, I was trying to listen. I can hear some people talking outside the door. I think it's the police. I'm going to go."