Chapter 1: Ascension

One day before the Ascension

Avant - Heim, Citadel of the sky

Avant-Heim, the capital city of the celestials, was a humongous floating island in constant move, being the largest city in the world in term of size and wealth. From a far, it looked like a giant pyramid-like citadel with nine different levels. Each level had their own purpose, from living quarters to magic research. One could only believe that such a wonder can only exist in the realms of the god.

The celestials themselves were a peculiar bunch among all races. Characterized by their symbolic wings on their back, celestials highly valued order and stability, seeking balance between all races. They saw themselves as the guardian and watcher of the world. Perhaps because they were the first race to have been created by the Gods. It gave them a major confidence in their own ability as they were the servants of the Gods, give out judgement in their place.

Celestials had a particular hatred toward demons. To the celestials who were the most faithful worshippers of the Gods, demons were seen as a living sin as they were not originally a race created by the Gods and therefore must be eradicated.

In time of war, the celestials usually secluded themselves from the rest of the world, only intervened when the war threatened the existence of the world itself. But even in those time, they only gave out hints and directions or did things behind the scene. Never had they openly participated in a war at the front line, not because they were weak. On the contrary they were one of the most powerful races, second only to the dragons. Celestials just thought that the affairs of mortals were below them and only intervened when things were at their worst. But even so, they were respected across the world for their neutrality and were often invited to serve as an arbiter in important events. One of the few occasions where the celestials went to war was when a demon lord appears, such as ten years ago. However aside from that, they always remained in the background, sometimes pulling strings in some events. And as always, behind the scenes. Until now...

A celestial was running across the halls of the seventh level of Avant-Heim. Quite special for a celestial such as her: blue haired with white wings. The woman was in her late twenties, at least in appearance. She wore a white long coat and on her back a two-meter crystal long claymore. The sword itself emitted a terrifying yet divine aura. The lady finally stopped in front of a giant door with two guards standing in front of them.

"Hold! Only those who have received the Calling from the Overseer may proceed." Said one of the guards.

"I have been summoned by the Heralds to participate in the Calling. The name is Executor Ikarus Salem.", Anna replied while placing her left hand on her chest proudly.

The guards brought out a small crystal the size of a pebble. From it emitted blue light scanning the Executor. After a few seconds, the guards nodded and made ways for Ikarus.

"You may proceed, Executor. The Heralds have already arrived. You are the last to have come."

'Tchh. No need to remind me that I am late' Anna thought face to the sarcasm of the guards.

Without any delay, Ikarus entered the gate. She went across a long hall before reaching the end of the corridor. Opening its gate, she saw six others celestials already present sitting around a large round but hollow table. She apologized for the delay and quickly took a sit.

The Council of Heralds. Consisted of six members, each was referred as a Herald. They managed the affairs of Avant-Heim, from internal politics to foreign affairs. In short they were the leaders of the celestials. One of the six celestials, a blond man in his thirties, began to talk.