Chapter 91: Redemption and Retribution

With the High Empress of Valhalla and the others left to the frontlines for battle, Cynthia has been appointed the acting governor of the city of Eiseinheim, in charge of all major matters and decisions until Morrigan's return. Maybe it was best this way as she was not the type of person who has ever held a weapon in her life nor was she a great war strategist to be able to help and give council to the already experienced generals. Well at least, that was the image people had of the Luna Priestess. The truth however was a bit different.

From conspiring against the royal crown of Malatas together with Odium and Aldol, to planning and executing the death of minister Owen, her malevolence and wickedness knew no bounds. To Cynthia, others were simply there to be her pawns. What was even worse was that this woman was prepared to do anything to achieve her goal. Not many would be willing to accept the deal of some demon lord and yet she was willing to do it without batting an eye. An audacious move or a foolish one? Only time would tell.

But that vicious woman has begun to change, little by little. The façade she has created for herself has started to become the real thing. All this was thanks to the influence of a certain individual by her side, the same person she once saw as nothing more than a peon. That same peon has now become a faithful knight that has not only broken her rancorous shell but also stolen her heart, the thing she assumed to be lost a long time ago.

"Thank you for your work today, gentlemen! We will resume our discussion tomorrow." The priestess addressed the council that was currently sitting around a large round table inside the court chamber.

With everyone leaving the room, Cynthia gave out a long sigh as she loosened up and rested her tired body on the bench. The job of handling all the babbling nobles with their rituals and politics was far more onerous than she thought it would be, especially when you wanted to do things right and not just for your own sake. All these years, Cynthia has been playing the Game for herself only and she was good at it, even though her faction only gained real power after Odium's arrival. But right now, replacing Morrigan and with the aim of a peaceful negotiation in mind that worked for all parties was much more difficult than just crushing them flat. Indeed, she has changed.

"Are you alright, lady Cynthia?" Luvik walked inside the chamber after waiting for all the ministers and members of the council leave.

"....." The priestess turned her head and looked sternly at the confused knight without uttering a word. Though her eyes were hidden by the sun headpiece she was wearing, Luvik could somehow feel her eyes staring down at him as he understood what she meant by that silence.

"I mean...are you alright, Cynthia?"

"I am fine, Luvik. It must be boring for you to have to stay behind with me while your comrades are going to the battlefield....I am sorry for holding you here." Cynthia said.

"Please don't say that! While it is regrettable that I cannot join my fellow soldiers in battle, I have my own duty to uphold given to me by her Highness. And that is to be by your side." Luvik spoke firmly.

"Does that mean you only stayed because Empress Morrigan ordered you too?"

"...I...Uhmm...A knight's opinion does not matter in face of his duty. He will do as he was instructed." Luvik uttered awkwardly, cleaning his throat as he tried to change the subject.

"Can't you be a little more honest with yourself, Luvik? Or do you want me to say it?"

"...Well I would be lying if I say that my reasoning to stay by your side is not something personal...And by that I mean, you are a wonderful individual with...exceptional talents. It's an honor for any knight and not just me to have the opportunity to serve you." the knight spoke in words that were clearly not his own but rather picked out from a book he read. And seeing such an experienced knight fidgeting like a little girl who was at lost for words could be said to be an entirely new experience. But that didn't please the priestess one bit.