Chapter 22: Curse of memories

Alastor's POV

I thought this case would end well. I have gained another resourceful companion who could shed some light about this group called Sanctus. But when Maria lifted the barrier and we went back to the children, the transformation has already started.

In front of me, the children began to change. Something dark spread across their entire body before completely engulfing everything. With her last ounce of sanity left, Shana looked at me and called out my name, before turning.

"Alas...tor..."

In mere seconds, all the children I have saved earlier have assumed a new form: an unsightly beast. The creature was pure black with sharp tooth barring at me. They used their formerly human arms, now deformed, as their front legs, moving from side to side in an inhuman manner on four foot while still keeping me and Maria on sight, like a beast waiting for the time to jump at its pray. Their bones cracked as they moved. And their roar, so loud it could break a man's eardrums if they were near.

"Shana, please control yourself! It's me." I shouted desperately at the beast in front of me.

Suddenly it jumped at me but was kicked down by Maria.

"That's no longer the Shana you knew! Now it's just a monstrosity beyond saving. We need to kill it now, put her out of her misery. I am sorry, Alastor! I really do but now there is no other way." Said Maria.

Was there really no other way? All these demon lord powers, the ultimate crystal magic, were you telling me that despite all I got, I was powerless to do anything here? Was I supposed to standing here like an idiot watching another person close to me drift away again?

"ALASTOR!" a voice from above called out.

It was Mephisto flying down with Ikarus and Stella right behind. How did he get here? The devil looked at the children now turned into hideous beasts. I could sense a mixture of anger and sadness from him.

"Not again...I am too late again!" he muttered. For a moment, I swore, when he saw Maria, his expression became strange all of the sudden. But at that time I did not pay too much attention about it.

"What are you doing here, Mephisto?" I asked him.

"Alice told me everything so I rushed here as fast as I could with the antidote. But..." Mephisto lowered his head in disappointment. He blamed himself for it but everyone knew it was not his fault.

He mentioned Alice telling him about this. How did she know? I didn't have time to explain to Ikarus what happened and Alice was already aware of this? Was that another effect of the chain?

"Antidote? You mean there is a cure for it?" I realised what he just said.

"Yes but it would only work if it was drank before the transformation. And I have only one dose, enough for one person only." Mephisto explained. He took out a small vial containing a red liquid.

"How do you know? Did you test it?" I urged him.

"Not yet but..." but I interrupted him and stole the vial from his hand. I rather died trying than do nothing to save Shana.

"Sorry to interrupt but we have a bigger issue right in front of us now!" Maria reminded us that we were still surrounded by the creatures.

At that moment all of them charged at us with an incredible speed. But an idea came to me. I opened a big magic circle right in front of us.