Chapter 55: Ultimate weapons

The next morning, Alastor, joined by Ikarus, departed from Eisenheim to the Whispering Forest together with Viviana and her companions. Since they were traveling in small group, using the Gate was the quickest way to get back. As for the army Morrigan has promised, they would need a day or two to prepare themselves before joining them later on the battlefield.

While none of the messenger's party really wanted to bring Alastor with them, mostly because of yesterday's humiliation he put them through, they could not deny the fact that this strange boy was much more powerful than they were and would prove to be a valuable ally. In addition, Viviana didn't really have any choice in the matter. It was either escorting him or losing Zagon's alliance, something she could not afford to lose at this moment.

Still, she couldn't feel relaxed at all around him. Just who was he, exactly? She overheard people talking at the tavern during her stay at the Iron City that Alastor actually wasn't Morrigan's real son but has only been adopted recently. So where was he before that? Who was he before becoming the heir of Zagon? For someone who held that much power, it was difficult to believe that someone like that would remain unnoticed after all those years and suddenly ended up as the heir to the throne of an influential country like Zagon. What bothered Viviana even more was Yggdrasil's action. Sure, Alastor was strong but Yggdrasil didn't even try to fight him. Was there that much of a difference in strength between them or was there another hidden reason that the spirit refused to mention?

As she pondered these questions while staring at her white staff, a voice called her back to reality.

"That's quite a peculiar staff you got there." Alastor said as he observed the staff. Not only it was emitting a compelling aura, Alastor could sense something else residing within, a soul.

"Oh...it isn't that special. But I am sure that it's nothing compared to someone like you." Viviana tried to stay polite. If they were accompanying together for a while, it would be better to stay in his good side.

'Euh just because I didn't fight him doesn't mean I am inferior. If you have to blame anyone, blame yourself for not being able to control your people! You started the fight first after all.' Yggdrasil said.

"Shut up!" the cat girl shouted, forgetting that no one else but her could hear the spirit.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh sorry, I was just...talking to myself. That's something I usually do...to calm myself."

"Really now? If I didn't know you better, I would think that you have gone crazy, talking to a staff like that. But again, it would be cool if that staff is alive and can talk, am I right?"

For a moment, Viviana was stunned, fearing that the boy has seen through her lies. 'He couldn't...right?' she thought.

Everything that had a soul was considered a living being. That alone made Alastor interested in this object. Could it be that Stella also had a soul like this cane? If that was the case, then it would explain why she felt so...real.

However, this wasn't the reason why Alastor decided to go with Viviana. He was curious about her resemblance with Shana, certainly, but most importantly, he wanted to know what was actually happening in Malatas and whether Odium had something to do with this. There was also the issue with her experiment. He wanted to check where she was regarding that matter. If Odium succeeded in creating what she told him about, then Alastor must retrieve 'that' at all cost and as soon as possible. That thing could not be allowed to fall in anyone else's hands.