Chapter 53: Battle of the Carrion Valley

"Just what the hell happened???" a draconic voice roared through the entire cave.

"The crown, it took control over miss Syralth when she touched it. Lucky that we got to her in time. Who knows what would happen if....." Malick spoke.

After putting Syralth to bed in the next room under heavy guard, the trio Celdora, Kaiser and Malick were trying to figure out what just happened to the young miss.

"But how could a crown be capable of such a thing? It has been in my possession for the last ten years and no such thing happened."

"The crown by itself, no. However, someone has put a curse on it. In addition, you as a dragon lord is very resistant to magic while miss Syralth is still young and only a draconian, which explains why it could affect her much easier. Also, it's possible that the trigger has been activated." Malick analyzed.

"Trigger?" Kaiser said.

"A curse doesn't need to initiate the moment it has been cast. In many cases, curses remain dormant for weeks, years or for the entire lifetime with the bearer not even aware of it. However, the most important factor is called the trigger. Most curses follow a rule which will only activate after a distinct event. For example, a curse can activate if the cursed person tries to use their mana for spells or if that person performs a very specific action.

My guess is that something recently happened that activated the curse on the crown. It could have been anyone of us but miss Syralth, being the least resistant and untrained in countering mind control technic, was unfortunate to stumble across it during one of its awakening moment." Malick explained. "But you should be at ease now. I have removed the curse from the crown so nothing like this will happen again."

"Even if you say that, I will not let that crown be anywhere near my daughter again. This fucking shit!" Celdora smacked the table. It wasn't like he wanted to hit it anyway. After what happened to his daughter, he tried to destroy that crown, to no avail. No matter what he did, no matter how powerful his attack was, it did nothing to the crown.

"This is due to my negligence. If only I have been more careful with this, Syra would not have to go through that experience. I have no words that could ease your anger, lord Celdora!" Kaiser bowed the dragon lord. For the most part, he was angry with himself. If he locked the door that day, none of this would have happened. While there was no consequence this time, it was by pure luck that Malick was nearby that day. What would happen if he wasn't? Anyway, this was an important lesson for the True Monarch.

"I share a part of the blame too, Kaiser. I had it with me for the last ten years without even noticing something like this. On so many occasions I have let this thing be so close to Syra and Nina... Why the hell did I take this accursed object that day???"

"...I think this curse was designed for you, Celdora." Kaiser spoke.

"What?"

"Think about it! You found the crown at the mansion of the Artificer. You said that you came there because you received a letter from him. Yet when you actually got there, the Artificer was already on the brink of dead and went completely mental. That doesn't seem like someone who could write you a letter inviting you to his home for no reason, especially in his state.

I think it was a trap to lure you and the hero Arshe into taking these cursed objects in order to control you." Kaiser explained his theory.

"A trap? By whom?"

"Given the timing, there could only be one person: the one who committed the massacre at the demon lord's castle ten years ago. Killing Asgore and Lakyus was just the first step. This person was also aiming for the rest of the heroes."