Chapter 48: Pact

Chapter 48: Pact

"Who the hell are you? How dare you enter the palace without permission? Guards!"

"You dare attack your future king?" Alastor shouted with an imposing voice, stunning all the guards.

Svelt who had no idea who this kid was, being a coward he was, instinctively kneeled down in fear. Then he asked himself why did he do that? To bow to this brat without even knowing him. Realizing that the others were looking at him strangely, he immediately stood up and tried to avert the attention to this new stranger.

"How dare you claim to be king?"

"I am the Empress' son so of course I am the heir you dimwit! ....Ah here you are mother. I have been looking for you!" Alastor ran clumsily to Morrigan and hugged her tightly in front of the whole court. No one understood the scene. Even Morrigan herself was left with no words and froze for a bit before Alastor whispered. "Play along!"

"Oh...Ah....I am sorry my son! You were sleeping so mommy didn't want to wake you up." Morrigan quickly regained her composure. Years of exposing herself to the lies around her has turn her into a professional actress, capable of improvising in any kind of situation.

"What? Who is this kid?"

"Mommy, why is this guy so angry? I have said it two times already and still he doesn't get it and keeps shouting at me."

"You will have to forgive him! Minister Svelt is at that time of the month...Actually he was always like this. Legends said he has been on period for thirty years straight till this day."

The court could not hold their laugh while listening to the ridiculous conversation. Especially minister Sinclair who was rolling on the floor giggling hysterically. As for the person in question, minister Svelt's head has started to become red swollen like a tomato, so much it seemed he was about to blow at any moment.

"STOP LAUGHING! Empress Morrigan, what does he mean by that?"

"Aie aie...do I have to spell it out for you? I have chosen this boy as my next heir. Just as you want it." Morrigan proclaimed.

"Hi! Looking forward to be your supreme leader!" Alastor waved his hands at the crowd of nobles.

"But..but this is...outrageous. We know nothing about this boy. How can we let him be our king just like that? How do we know if he is qualified? I demand a test to be done at the utmost urgency." Svelt spoke to the crowd. While what he said sounded reasonable and convincing, the man had no idea what he has just gotten himself into.

"You dare question my judgment, Svelt?" Morrigan scolded.

"No mother! He is right! If the ministers have doubt about my qualification, then I must prove it to them. There must be no uncertainty among the people, especially when it concerns the heir to a royal family with a long history like Magnolia." Alastor said. His words shocked the aristocrats in the room. It was simply too mature for a kid at his age.

"If that's what you want then go ahead." Morrigan sighed.

"Alright! What will be the test, Minister Svelt?" asked Alastor.

"I commemorate your confidence, boy! Unfortunately, we have not expected this situation so right now I can't give you any test. I will need two days to discuss with the council so an appropriate test would be given." Everyone knew that Svelt would not even ask the council but rather would spend those two days crafting some impossible test for the poor boy. For most of them, this boy's fate was already sealed.