Chapter 79: Trouble in Cedra

"And...everything is perfect." the voice of a maiden rang as she was checking meticulously the clothing of a young boy for any shrivelled trace in front of a huge mirror.

"It seems a bit...tight." Said the boy, feeling uncomfortable by the attire he was wearing. It was a noble outfit his parents have given to him, made by the best tailor of the city. Upon receiving a letter from the royal palace, these two doting parents have rushed and spent a fortune just for this garb.

"And you have to endure it, young master! You are going to see the king after all. Not many have that honour so you must take advantage of this opportunity, make a good and lasting impression!" the maid spoke while she did a final check from behind. "You have undergone all those trainings, studied night and days just for this moment. You should be proud of yourself. Smile, young master!"

Indeed it was strange. Normally, if someone received an invitation of the king to be among his closest retainers, anyone would be so delighted, if not screaming out of joy. It was the chance of a lifetime to be able to serve the king. Promises of richness and fame were certain and assured for such individuals. Yet, why did the boy have that face of fretfulness? Why could he not be happy about it? Perhaps, it was due to the recent announcement of a war between the newly formed Valhalla and his country. Why would war continue to exist? The boy wondered. It was something he never got to understand. It might be perhaps because he was too young to grasp the rules and politics of the world. Or perchance, it might simply be for the best that such an innocent boy was spared from that absurd madness of men's greed.

The fact that he was invited to the palace to join the royal guards was certainly for this very same reason and not just because of his headmaster's recommendation. They were looking for people with power to recruit for the war. That much was obvious. But it was the verity of going to war against Valhalla that spouted doubts in the boy's mind about his own country, especially after what he heard from the recent declaration of their Empress. Following Morrigan's proclamation, it has led to some pretty chaotic situations in Ceadric where a large number of its people, numbered in thousands, has fled to Valhalla. They were most likely demons, either slaves or having lived in secluded areas, hiding until now. This caused a heavy tension in cities across the country accompanied by a wave of 'witch-hunts' in search for those demons in hiding.

Unfortunately, not all of the demons have managed to reach the borders with the leftovers being killed or captured by the army, or worst by a group of religious fanatics claiming to be messengers of Gods. Your neighbour might be a demon. Your friend might be a demon. Even your husband or wife might be one. Just how many have died, demons or not, because of those accusations? Needless to say, King Charles was forced to dispatch the army to stop those dangerous heretics from burning people alive by stationing soldiers in almost every street. And that was how a country fell into total disarray overnight. Fortunately, things have been calmed down a bit thanks to Charles' efforts but still, a feeling of doubt, of scepticism has been spread among the people, dominating this heavy atmosphere.

"Tasha...why didn't you leave?" the boy asked.

"I told you many time already, young master. My place is by your side. There is no need for me to go anywhere else." The maid smiled at her master.

"But you will be able to live freely over there. Our city has gone mad ever since Empress Morrigan's declaration of neutrality toward the demons. You are not safe here."

"If I want to live in freedom, I would have left a long time ago. And those heretics don't scare me." The maid declared. "Besides, who would take care of you when I am gone?"