Chapter 41: Fallen God

The seventh and final trumpet has sounded. From the darkness, a ray of light illuminated the entire world. It was the only thing people could see in this obscurity.

The tolls of bells echoed throughout the entire world. It was as if they were ringing to celebrate this grand occasion, to announce the coming of a new age.

"The Grand Gate of Celestia shall open and reveals the High Heavens to the realm of mortals. All will kneel before His glory. For God the Almighty will welcome his children back into His kingdom. The deads will be judged and the livings will be purified." The God of Celestials proclaimed in a glorious speech. He was bathed in a radiant sunlight that shined upon the whole of Avant-Heim.

From the luminous cloud that appeared above the city, a gigantic golden door came out of it. Its heavy door slowly opened, revealing an intense dazzling radiance, like a sun that shined upon this pitch black world.

"The Light of Creation will now cleanse the world of all impurities. Chant in the name of the Lord, revere his Exalted and feel the long awaited jubilation as you will now return to Him once more!"

<Absolution>

Alastor could feel the enormous concentration of mana from the door. Something huge was coming out of that door, a huge column of light. If it hit the earth, it would destroy not just Ragna but the entire world.

"Stop! If that thing comes down, you too will be dead. Do you want to kill yourself too?" shouted Alastor.

"ha....ha.....I already die the moment I use this trumpet. It feeds on my life force to activate all the sevens trumpets of Revelation. And the last one has exhausted whatever that was left in this decrepit body.

There is no need for me after that. When the world comes to an end, not even Gods will remain. Only Lord Eden and he shall recreate a new world....But I wonder if it would happen this time....

You can't run away from it. What will you do, Alastor?" said Merkabah.

And then the light came down.

The boy tried to cast a magic circle, the same he used against Mephisto to deflect the light into the sky. However it pierced through it easily. It was expected as the energy was too powerful to be contained in such thing.

If Alastor let it touch the ground, it would mean the end of everything. He did not care for the rest of the world but he did care for his family, his loved ones. And so there was only one thing to do: he shall confront it.

Standing his ground in the middle of the plaza where the ray was shooting down, he raised his hand above his head.

"<Devour>"

He tried to absorb that beam. It was basically a magical attack so it should work. However with this much concentration, he wasn't sure that he would be able to absorb everything. The column of light struck down and was being sucked into his hands. Now it was a battle of endurance between the two: would Alastor be able to hold his ground and absorb all of it or would the light prevail and destroy the world?

Trapped inside Merkabah's barrier, Ikarus could sense that it was weakening greatly. It was because most of his life force was already consumed and the barrier was linked to it. Now was her chance. Using her spear, Ikarus destroyed the barrier and rushed toward her beloved Alastor. The boy was doing as best he could to stop the column of light. However his body was not able to absorb everything and the excess of energy was leaking out into the ground of Avant-Heim. The entire island was crumbling into pieces. But he could not run away. He must remain here to stop it. If only there was something else to redirect all that energy into.